Old 12-11-2012, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default over wintering Argyranthemum

Have two very nice ones from Sacha's and have taken cuttings but is it
possible to get the actual plants through the winter in say an unheated
greenhouse but perhaps next to the staging that has soil cable in the
sand?
Should I cut them back or just chnace taking cuttings ?
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 12-11-2012, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

On Nov 12, 2:21*pm, Janet Tweedy wrote:
Have two very nice ones from Sacha's and have taken cuttings but is it
possible to get the actual plants through the winter in say an unheated
greenhouse but perhaps next to the staging that has soil cable in the
sand?
Should I cut them back or just chnace taking cuttings ?

Janet, they very easily overwintered in frost-free conditions and
cool, dry, bright and airy are the keys to success. Cut the main
stems back by about a third (more if you have problems with space),
remove old, diseased and yellowing leaves, place in good light and
water only when dry. During winter they don't need anything special at
the root so old potting compost is fine as long as it is gritty and
free draining. The plan is not to keep them growing - winter light in
the UK is too poor for healthy growth, just gently ticking over.
Argyranthemums suffer far more from cool, dank conditions than they
ever do if it is cold and dry. Good ventilation will keep them in
good health and as long as temperatures don't fall below approx. -3C
for long periods, they should be fine.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
, Dave
Poole writes
Janet, they very easily overwintered in frost-free conditions and
cool, dry, bright and airy are the keys to success. Cut the main
stems back by about a third (more if you have problems with space),
remove old, diseased and yellowing leaves, place in good light and
water only when dry. During winter they don't need anything special at
the root so old potting compost is fine as long as it is gritty and
free draining. The plan is not to keep them growing - winter light in
the UK is too poor for healthy growth, just gently ticking over.
Argyranthemums suffer far more from cool, dank conditions than they
ever do if it is cold and dry. Good ventilation will keep them in
good health and as long as temperatures don't fall below approx. -3C
for long periods, they should be fine.

I have done others such as Jamaican sunset but the ones from Sacha i
have a feeling a slightly more tender.
So I will do as you advise Dave, many thanks. What i chop off will no
doubt be chanced as cuttings anyway can't resist.
One is a lovely dusky pink and the other a more potent magenta

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 17-11-2012, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Sacha wrote:

I can't remember which you got, Janet? Were they 'Vancouver' and
'Tresco' by any chance? * Ours are usually kept in the big double and
overwinter without heating unless it becomes very cold, when the
heating comes on. But we don't cosset anything.

I was going to add that 'Jamaica Sunset' can be just a tad trickier to
overwinter than most of the whites and pinks so if Janet is managing
with that, the others will pose no problems.
Old 19-11-2012, 01:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
Dave Poole writes
I was going to add that 'Jamaica Sunset' can be just a tad trickier to
overwinter than most of the whites and pinks so if Janet is managing
with that, the others will pose no problems.

I find that one really easy David, no problem, I do tend to put the most
tender stuff in the middle of the greenhouse away from the glass but
even so have easily overwintered a moderately large plant and several
rooted cuttings.

If it gets really cold I'll sit them on the shelf above the propagating
bench which just has sand and heating cables in it.
I find keeping the tops of plants too warm in winter leads to mould
and rot. Most - like salvias, seem to like warm feet and cool tops
--
Janet Tweedy