Old 05-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Alan Holmes

Default Leeks - again!

The thousand leek seeds I sowed have nearly all germinated, but
they have come up rather close together.

Can I leave them like that or should I start to thin them?

If I have to thin them, is it possible to plant the thinings out in another
place, or will they be too damaged to replant?

Alan

Old 06-05-2003, 02:23 AM
david

It is normal to sow leeks in a seed bed, then transplant later to their
final growing place

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 06-05-2003, 02:23 AM
Jon

x-no-archive: yes,On Mon, 5 May 2003 09:11:54 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

The thousand leek seeds I sowed have nearly all germinated, but
they have come up rather close together.

Can I leave them like that or should I start to thin them?

If I have to thin them, is it possible to plant the thinings out in another
place, or will they be too damaged to replant?

I would leave them until they are around 5 inches high, then water
them heavily to make it easier to dig them up and separate carefully
and transplant to their final location. Works for me and I have red
fingers, not green ones.
Jonny

Old 06-05-2003, 02:23 AM
Alan Holmes

"david" wrote in message
It is normal to sow leeks in a seed bed, then transplant later to their
final growing place

Yes, which is what I did, the problem is, that as I planted so many, they
have
all come up very close together, and the question is, do I need to thin them
out, and, if so, can I replant the thinnings?

Alan