Old 09-02-2004, 06:00 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Leeks and celeriac (again)

How long can I leave them in the ground before they go to seed?

I want some seed from the leeks, but I'm not interested in seed
from the celeriac.

If I have to dig them up, how do I store them?

Alan

Old 09-02-2004, 06:00 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Alan Holmes" writes:

| How long can I leave them in the ground before they go to seed?

It depends on the weather! Watch 'em and see!

| I want some seed from the leeks, but I'm not interested in seed
| from the celeriac.
|
| If I have to dig them up, how do I store them?

In the case of leeks at least, you can't. You can eat them until
the flower shoot goes woody.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:05 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Alan Holmes alan@holmes-
g4crw.freeserve.co.uk writes

How long can I leave them in the ground before they go to seed?

I want some seed from the leeks, but I'm not interested in seed
from the celeriac.

The leeks should flower this summer.

If I have to dig them up, how do I store them?

Leeks - dunno. You'd probably have to freeze them. Celeriac need
somewhere cool and not too dry. Like carrots.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 10-02-2004, 11:49 AM
Frogleg

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 18:35:06 -0000, "David Hill"
wrote:

Try reading this.... http://www.llanor.fsnet.co.uk/Articles/971119.htm

As for Celeriac http://greennature.com/article2060.html

Both these were found doing a quick google search...

I've found many basic questions answered by searches on

plantname germination

or

plantname cultivation

Old 15-02-2004, 09:19 AM
David Hill

The leeks will throw up a round stem in the middle of the leaves, this will
grow to around 3 ft tall and will have flowers in the summer followed by
black seed, it also may have small pips or bulbuls. which can be planted.
The seed will be sown spring on 2005 to give you leeks 2005/6.
Unless they are special then I wouldn't bother, you are having your ground
taken up for a long time to save getting a packet of seed. They don't like
being transplanted once they are coming into flower so have to be left in
situe.
Try reading this.... http://www.llanor.fsnet.co.uk/Articles/971119.htm

As for Celeriac http://greennature.com/article2060.html

Both these were found doing a quick google search.........

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk