Old 02-12-2012, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rubbish bag support

On 01/12/2012 22:03, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
On 30/11/2012 11:52, Broadback wrote:
I am sure I have seen simple light items designed to hold rubbish bags
upright and open, what the dickens are they called? I have tried Google
searches with all the names I can think of, but not got the right one.

I appreciate this is not what you asked for, but I have at least 6 of
these and find them very useful. I buy them more cheaply than shown in
the link (watch out for Lidl garden sales) and they last reasonably
well. They are light but tough, stand open while you fill them and
collapse for storage. I wouldn't be without them. I have even grown
potatoes in the older ones as, by then, they have a few drainage holes.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Litre-Spring...4398632&sr=1-4

Oh! We have two of those!!!! We use them for all kinds of things)

Yes, they're very good in the garden. I even use spare ones for plant
protection at this time of year when I need fewer for garden waste. Our
council, to my relief, seems happy to empty any number of them in the
summer. I have been known to have all six full of waste by collection day.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 02-12-2012, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Don't you shred and compost? I even take my neighbour's hedge trimmings,
shred them and compost them

Mike

Old 02-12-2012, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Never tried to do that with ours but we don't seem to have the
problems I read about with other councils.
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 02-12-2012, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

I can't. No where to keep a shredder. I do compost an awful lot of
garden waste, plus cardboard and some shredded paper. I have five
useable compost bins plus one that needs rebuilding. They make very
good crumbly compost. Also, if I have lots of cardboard, I lay it in
the garden to suppress weeds.

This year, however, I'm not composting the millions of Sycamore leaves
which fall in the garden. Most of them have Acer Tar Spot fungus, and I
don't want to store up trouble for my few decorative Acers.

Believe me, if I had a brick-built shed (nothinhg less would deter the
two-legged rats), then I would most certainly invest in a shredder.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

It has surprised us just how fast the compost goes down when the stuff is
shredded first, but if you can't have a home for one, you just have to do
what you can. Quite amazing the number of worms that get in there working at
it :-)

Mike

Old 02-12-2012, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/12/2012 14:41, 'Mike' wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Oh yes, mine goes down quite rapidly, even though it's not shredded. I
also encourage woodlice and even ants in my bins. Oodles and oodles of
worms :~)!

Old 02-12-2012, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
On 02/12/2012 14:41, 'Mike' wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

:-(

Can't have both Ants and Woodlice!

Ants means it is too dry, Woodlice and Worms it is wet :-)
(Which is what I like 'cos I feel it works faster)

Mike

all the thread left in because that is what the regulars of urg like

Old 02-12-2012, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
'Mike' wrote:

Can't have both Ants and Woodlice!

Ants means it is too dry, Woodlice and Worms it is wet :-)
(Which is what I like 'cos I feel it works faster)

Er, no. Woodlice also like it dry, though not as dry as ants do,
and are often found together with ants.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/12/2012 17:20, 'Mike' wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
On 02/12/2012 14:41, 'Mike' wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I can, Mike! I have ants in the summer, but they go when it gets
colder and wetter. Most people wouldn't want ants all year round
(neither do I), so it's fine that they disappear about the time I want
to riddle the compost. The woodlice seem to be able to find enough damp,
since they're in most of the bins most of the time.

Yes, the compost does break down more quickly when it's damp, but I let
my heaps dry out somewhat prior to riddling.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
On 02/12/2012 17:20, 'Mike' wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
On 02/12/2012 14:41, 'Mike' wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

I let mine dry our before riddling/sifting too and if it is dry enough, I
pass the stuff which won't go through the sieve, through the shredder again
:-)

Mike

Old 02-12-2012, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

all the thread left in because that is what the regulars of urg like

No it's not

Old 02-12-2012, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message

all the thread left in because that is what the regulars of urg like

No it's not

Only going by what those who should know better do ...........

Mike

To Bag- or not to bag? Jos. Wheeler Lawns 25 10-04-2006 11:10 AM
Reach into the pond to remove leaves and rubbish NEWS Ponds (alternative) 1 27-07-2005 07:33 AM
72-Hour Blackout Cure for Algae is Rubbish blank Freshwater Aquaria Plants 11 13-10-2004 02:57 PM
To bag or not to bag 2 Gene Moon Lawns 1 13-06-2003 04:44 PM
To Bag or Not to Bag Gene Moon Lawns 3 09-06-2003 03:08 PM