Old 02-12-2012, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Best gardening clothes

Which is your favourite bit of gardening clothing.
Mine is the Cornish Smock, 2 good pockets, and no buttons etc. to cope
with with muddy hands and draught proof.
I always get a size larger to fit over sweaters et.
Shove them into the washing machine, and re proof after washing.
Not me in the picture,
http://thesmockshop.com/product_info...products_id=30
Several firms make and sell them.
David @ the damp end of Swansea Bay.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

After 40 years of landscaping in the north east monsoon region, I have
finally found the perfect waterproofs,
Army Goretex, ebay is awash with them. Ok they are camoflage but you can
work all day without getting wet, including condensation.
Tops and bottoms average £25.00 for both, cheaper if your lucky, don't worry
about repairing if they rip, get some duct tape cut a square out and iron
on with damp tea towel on top. Mike," singing in the rain" Northumberland.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/12/2012 21:29, David Hill wrote:
Which is your favourite bit of gardening clothing.
Mine is the Cornish Smock, 2 good pockets, and no buttons etc. to cope
with with muddy hands and draught proof.
I always get a size larger to fit over sweaters et.
Shove them into the washing machine, and re proof after washing.
Not me in the picture,
http://thesmockshop.com/product_info...products_id=30
Several firms make and sell them.
David @ the damp end of Swansea Bay.

I love the look of those open patch pockets. I tend to use up old
jackets in the garden, but the pockets always have annoying flaps over
them to keep the weather out .. a real pain when you briskly reach for
your pocketed secateurs. I can't justify buying a new garden smock just
yet, so I think I'll cut off my pocket flaps for now. One day I'll
invest in what's beginning to sound like the standard urg uniform for
gardening.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 03-12-2012, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/02/2012 10:29 PM, David Hill wrote:
Which is your favourite bit of gardening clothing.
Mine is the Cornish Smock, 2 good pockets, and no buttons etc. to cope
with with muddy hands and draught proof.
I always get a size larger to fit over sweaters et.
Shove them into the washing machine, and re proof after washing.

+1 for me too. I've got a larger size to fit over, erm, myself.

I also use a standard coverall sometimes, zips up the front and has a
teflon treatment which really repels rain.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"RiversideRed" wrote in
:

After 40 years of landscaping in the north east monsoon region, I
have finally found the perfect waterproofs,
Army Goretex, ebay is awash with them. Ok they are camoflage but you
can work all day without getting wet, including condensation.
Tops and bottoms average £25.00 for both, cheaper if your lucky, don't
worry about repairing if they rip, get some duct tape cut a square
out and iron on with damp tea towel on top. Mike," singing in the
rain" Northumberland.

Outstandingly good for working in wet conditions. Not much sweating inside.
£25 is good, I paid much more than that for mine 2 years ago. Mine have not
ripped yet but I have some duct tape if they do rip.
Thanks for the info.

Baz

Old 03-12-2012, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , RiversideRed
writes
Army Goretex, ebay is awash with them. Ok they are camoflage but you
can work all day without getting wet, including condensation.

Could have done with them in the 70's in the Army!!
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 03-12-2012, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/12/2012 12:25, Sacha wrote:
On 2012-12-03 11:43:39 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

I've had one for years and they are indeed, a boon to the gardener. Some
companies make a gardener's smock with three pockets across the front
for tools.
http://www.cornishwear.com/products/...#sailors-smock I
bought the most fabulous striped one for our grandson at a local
farmer's market. The cotton is like sailcloth and had to be washed a
couple of times to soften it up for younger skin but it's terrific! (The
pic is not our grandson!)
http://shorelinesmocks.myshopify.com...product-search

Very smart! :~). I confess if I have a problem with them, it's the
waxing. I've seen some hideous waxed garments :~(. I'd also be very
concerned about re-waxing them *and* what all that would do to my
washer/dryer. Do you have any problems with that?

Old 03-12-2012, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-12-03 11:43:39 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

The one I got isn't waxed and I don't think I'd want that either. It
sounds too hot to me. I prefer them to 'breathe'!

So where did you get yours, please, Sacha? Can you remember?

Old 03-12-2012, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-12-03 11:43:39 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

I'm really sorry but I can't. It might even have been at Tuckers, or
perhaps Mole Valley Farmers, our local country stores. But I've had it
such a long time I don't remember with any certainty. It's just a plain
navy blue one and I don't remember it being mail order so I think it
must have been in a local shop.

Not to worry, I'll just keep my eyes open now I know what I'm looking
for. I can already think of one or two likely places to start hunting
in Spring.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-12-03 11:43:39 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

For waxed clothing.

For washing just hose it down whilst hanging on the line. If it
desperately needs a proper wash bung it in the washer with a load of
detergent. Then you will /have/ to reproof.

To reproof, paint on the melted wax and then smooth it out with a
hairdryer. You might need to do a bit at at a time to avoid the
overheating cut-out tripping.
--
Phil Cook

Old 03-12-2012, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote

Very smart! :~). I confess if I have a problem with them, it's the waxing.
I've seen some hideous waxed garments :~(. I'd also be very concerned
about re-waxing them *and* what all that would do to my washer/dryer. Do
you have any problems with that?

It's easy to re-wax a jacket. Hang it up, smear on the wax lightly and rub
in as much as possible especially into the creases and seams, use a
hairdryer on hot and go all over the garment melting the wax into the cloth.
Let hang for a while to cool and wipe off any over done bits with kitchen
towel. Always worked a treat on my Barbours. They look more lived in once
re-waxed. :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-12-03 11:43:39 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

Thanks for the advice, Phil!

Old 03-12-2012, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/12/2012 17:00, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Spider" wrote

Very smart! :~). I confess if I have a problem with them, it's the
waxing. I've seen some hideous waxed garments :~(. I'd also be very
concerned about re-waxing them *and* what all that would do to my
washer/dryer. Do you have any problems with that?

It's easy to re-wax a jacket. Hang it up, smear on the wax lightly and
rub in as much as possible especially into the creases and seams, use a
hairdryer on hot and go all over the garment melting the wax into the
cloth. Let hang for a while to cool and wipe off any over done bits with
kitchen towel. Always worked a treat on my Barbours. They look more
lived in once re-waxed. :-)

Thanks, Bob! You and Phil make it sound easy. I ought to wax my
gardening hat, so I could have a small-scale practice. My hairdryer
will be glad to be used for a change. I hardly use it at all for my hair.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
Oh!

Poor little chap!

Wait till he's old enough to choose your retirement home and he
remembers being dressed up in that smock ...........
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 03-12-2012, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-12-03 11:43:39 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

To add to Phil's suggestion, might I suggest you apply the wax with a
sponge. You could melt the wax slightly before speading.

Bill