Old 23-12-2012, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Best way to boil water on allotment?

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
On 23/12/2012 15:19, Pete C wrote:
That's what I do. No way would I have a naked flame in a shed.
-- Pete C

but they wouldn't they have a very small paved area outside the door so
they can use that

This is beginning to sound like a Health and Safety lecture .

For goodness sake the lttle gas cookers are perfectly safe.

Bill

Old 23-12-2012, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote in
:

On 23/12/2012 17:18, Baz wrote:
I have a device that plugs into the cigar lighter in the car/van.
Takes 10 mins per cup. It does not provide light though.

Yes they could have a plug in one in the car but they are quite a way
from where the cars are parked. I've given them a gas ring and a
lantern and the receipt and let them solve the porblem

That will please them. Well it would me. They might become sheddies. But
thats not too bad.

Baz
Old 23-12-2012, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/12/2012 20:34, David Hill wrote:
You'd have to be very cack handed to burn down a shed using a gas ring,
now if you used a BBQ inside there would be more risk.

my son and his friend (both aged 9)once built a bonfire in our garage.
Luckily we found them before they lit it!!
Old 23-12-2012, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/12/2012 20:31, David Hill wrote:
But if they cook their veg on site they save transporting them home.

If they eat it, and unless they actually manage to 'eliminate' it surely
they take it home anyway ?

Old 24-12-2012, 12:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
news
My brother and his wife have got a fairly new allotment and put up a shed
in October. i was going to get them (for a christmas present) some means
of boiling water so they could have some tea and maybe a light.

Anyone recommend anything please?

Janet

Calor is your friend for allotment sheds. You can get a small table top
camping stove with two burners or/and a calor gas light. both fueled by
bottles.

Old 24-12-2012, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
news
My brother and his wife have got a fairly new allotment and put up a shed
in October. i was going to get them (for a christmas present) some means
of boiling water so they could have some tea and maybe a light.

Anyone recommend anything please?

One thing nobody has so far mentioned.
You can get a kettle with a hollow central tube which you fill with twigs
and then set fire to.
Boils water for a cuppa, and no need for gas or electricity.
Saw some lovely fancy ones in NZ.
A more boring one in Cotswold Outdoors.
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/kelly...?id_colour=180

"Never buy fuel again! A fiendishly simple idea, the Kelly Kettle is
basically a double-skinned metal chimney. Its tapering shape means a fire
lit beneath it in a vented metal base draws very efficiently and lights
easily, heating water which you pour into the chimney's hollow walls. Using
whatever solid fuel is naturally occuring in the area - sticks, grass, pine
cones, birch bark, even dry animal dung - the Kelly Kettle works in harsh
weather conditions, bringing water to the boil within a matter of minutes.

Boiling around 6 Mugs of water at a time, the Base Camp Kettle has
traditionally been used by Irish Anglers but is also suitable for car
camping, garden allotments, picnics, hunting trips and wilderness survival
or even use by humanitarian aid groups: anyone living and working in the
outdoors!"

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 24-12-2012, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/12/2012 18:04, David WE Roberts wrote:
Boiling around 6 Mugs of water at a time, the Base Camp Kettle has
traditionally been used by Irish Anglers but is also suitable for car
camping, garden allotments, picnics, hunting trips and wilderness
survival or even use by humanitarian aid groups: anyone living and
working in the outdoors!"

Thnaks David a trifl;e on the expensive side for a cup of tea (£54 ) but
a good idea!