Old 17-01-2013, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT - these are my principles; if you don't like them I have others

At the moment this appears to apply to local Met Office weather forecasts.

Not long ago today was to be sunny and clear (it still is).
The forecast was revised to show light snow from 09:00, heavy snow showers
at 12:00, and heavy snow at 15:00.

Still no sign of snow, but the rain radar shows a load of precipitation
popping into existence just off the coast to the East and North.

So I have some sympathy - the forecast is probably out by about 5 miles -
but it just goes to show you can't really rely on local forecasts at the
moment.

Usually, with the weather coming from the West, the predictions are pretty
good and sometimes amazingly accurate.

However, not today.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Pan in Vista on second Vista PC.
Old 17-01-2013, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in message
At the moment this appears to apply to local Met Office weather forecasts.

Not long ago today was to be sunny and clear (it still is).
The forecast was revised to show light snow from 09:00, heavy snow showers
at 12:00, and heavy snow at 15:00.

Still no sign of snow, but the rain radar shows a load of precipitation
popping into existence just off the coast to the East and North.

So I have some sympathy - the forecast is probably out by about 5 miles -
but it just goes to show you can't really rely on local forecasts at the
moment.

Usually, with the weather coming from the West, the predictions are pretty
good and sometimes amazingly accurate.

However, not today.

Yers g
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 17-01-2013, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/01/2013 12:54, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
At the moment this appears to apply to local Met Office weather forecasts.

Not long ago today was to be sunny and clear (it still is).
The forecast was revised to show light snow from 09:00, heavy snow showers
at 12:00, and heavy snow at 15:00.

Still no sign of snow, but the rain radar shows a load of precipitation
popping into existence just off the coast to the East and North.

So I have some sympathy - the forecast is probably out by about 5 miles -
but it just goes to show you can't really rely on local forecasts at the
moment.

Usually, with the weather coming from the West, the predictions are pretty
good and sometimes amazingly accurate.

However, not today.

Cheers

Dave R

Have patience young man, the awful weather will be with you, and the
rest of us soon enough!

--
Remember the early bird may catch the worm but the second mouse gets the
cheese.
Old 17-01-2013, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in message
Usually, with the weather coming from the West, the predictions are pretty
good and sometimes amazingly accurate.

However, not today.

Especially if we haven't a clue as to where you live!

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland

Old 17-01-2013, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 12:54:46 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

At the moment this appears to apply to local Met Office weather
forecasts.

Not long ago today was to be sunny and clear (it still is). The forecast
was revised to show light snow from 09:00, heavy snow showers at 12:00,
and heavy snow at 15:00.

Still no sign of snow, but the rain radar shows a load of precipitation
popping into existence just off the coast to the East and North.

So I have some sympathy - the forecast is probably out by about 5 miles
- but it just goes to show you can't really rely on local forecasts at
the moment.

Usually, with the weather coming from the West, the predictions are
pretty good and sometimes amazingly accurate.

However, not today.

Just started snowing a bit.
Meanwhile the forecast has changed again to light snow today and tomorrow.
Probably means a blizzard is on the way. :-(
Oh, and East coast in Suffolk.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Pan in Vista on second Vista PC.

Old 17-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.WE.Roberts View Post
At the moment this appears to apply to local Met Office weather forecasts.

Not long ago today was to be sunny and clear (it still is).
The forecast was revised to show light snow from 09:00, heavy snow showers
at 12:00, and heavy snow at 15:00.

Still no sign of snow, but the rain radar shows a load of precipitation
popping into existence just off the coast to the East and North.

So I have some sympathy - the forecast is probably out by about 5 miles -
but it just goes to show you can't really rely on local forecasts at the
moment.

Usually, with the weather coming from the West, the predictions are pretty
good and sometimes amazingly accurate.

However, not today.

Cheers

Dave R
Are you taking the quoted probability into account? We have 36hrs of light snow forecast for Friday/Saturday but it's probability of it happening is only less than 60%. Look at the met office forecast site here, you'll need to set for where you live:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/w.../#?tab=fiveDay
Old 17-01-2013, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17 Jan 2013 16:12:07 GMT, "David.WE.Roberts"
wrote:

[...]

Ooooh eck! Here in South Wales we have a red alert! This means we are
guaranteed to have something between 2mm and 30cm of snow in the next
24 hours.

No doubt those places that get 30cm will be used to, and ready for, it
and will carry on as near normally as possible.

Those with a projected 2mm will probably start panic buying everything
this evening. Buses will be taken off the roads in the interests of
public safety, trains will stop running because the drivers cannot see
if there are any leaves on the tracks.

And I suppose I won't get any weeding done

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.
Old 18-01-2013, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Granity
writes

-

http://tinyurl.com/crtrep8

--
Granity

Which in my view makes it a pointless forecast but one for which the met
office can always claim accuracy.
--
bert
Old 18-01-2013, 09:33 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Which in my view makes it a pointless forecast but one for which the met
office can always claim accuracy.
So what would you like them to do? Say "Current weather patterns mean it is impossible to forecast tomorrow's weather with more than 60% probability so we're not going to give a forecast"?
__________________
Old 20-01-2013, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , kay
writes

bert;976888 Wrote:

Which in my view makes it a pointless forecast but one for which the met

office can always claim accuracy.

So what would you like them to do? Say "Current weather patterns mean
it
is impossible to forecast tomorrow's weather with more than 60%
probability so we're not going to give a forecast"?

--
kay

I'd just like them to tell me what the weather is going to be. Given the
vast amount of money spent on super-computers over the years is that too
much to ask? It used to be pretty accurate when we had weather balloons
etc. Their answer is always that they need an even bigger computer.
--
bert

Old 21-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.WE.Roberts View Post
At the moment this appears to apply to local Met Office weather forecasts.
I always consult yr.no - the Norwegian met office - for a second opinion. One advantage of yr.no is the utterly brilliant presentation of the forecast, especially if you chose the hour by hour (or "time for time" if the English language option has let you down) option. You are left rather less in doubt of exactly what they are forecasting.

There often is a material difference between the two forecasts, and I find quite often the outcome lies between the two.

It is very difficult to forecast precisely what area precipitation will occur, and at what time. If you are located near the edge of a forecast precipitation zone, the likelihood of you being dissatisfied with the forecast you got are always going to be high.