Old 22-01-2013, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What is this plant?

This has been in flower for the last few weeks.
It's growing about 6ft from the road at the base of a retaining wall.
I took these pictures today in a spell of heavy sleet, so didn't take as
much care as I might have done.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ownflowers.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...nflowers02.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...nflowers04.jpg
David @ the mild and almost snow free end of Swansea Bay
Old 22-01-2013, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
This has been in flower for the last few weeks.
It's growing about 6ft from the road at the base of a retaining wall.
I took these pictures today in a spell of heavy sleet, so didn't take as
much care as I might have done.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ownflowers.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...nflowers02.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...nflowers04.jpg
David @ the mild and almost snow free end of Swansea Bay

Montbretia? I bit like mine but mine are orange
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 22-01-2013, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/01/2013 20:07, Chris Hogg wrote:
Looks like wild garlic, aka three-cornered leek, Allium trifolium (but
not the wild garlic that most people know, A. ursinum aka Ransoms).
Crush the stems and it reeks of onions. Grows vigorously all over the
place down here, and is a real pest and difficult to eradicate. Best
sprayed with glyphosate in mid summer, so that the stuff gets take
down to the bulbs as the leaves die back. Repeat as necessary (usually
at least once).

But I'm surprised to see it in flower so early.

no its possibly allium quincer something or other, blinking invasive and
just producing their flowering head here all over my front flower bed.
More you pull out, accompanied by horrid onion smell, more seems to
grow!! Awful thing, don't even THINK about planting it!!

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 22-01-2013, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

This has been in flower for the last few weeks.
It's growing about 6ft from the road at the base of a retaining wall.
I took these pictures today in a spell of heavy sleet, so didn't take as
much care as I might have done.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ownflowers.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...nflowers02.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...nflowers04.jpg

Looks like Leucojum vernum known as Snowflakes as apposed to Snowdrops.
http://www.kew.org/plants-fungi/Leucojum-vernum.htm
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 23-01-2013, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-22 19:06:35 +0000, David Hill said:

This has been in flower for the last few weeks.
It's growing about 6ft from the road at the base of a retaining wall.
I took these pictures today in a spell of heavy sleet, so didn't take
as much care as I might have done.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ownflowers.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...nflowers02.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...nflowers04.jpg
David @ the mild and almost snow free end of Swansea Bay

Probably Leucojum vernum, the spring snowflake. If you google for pics
of it you may recognise it.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-01-2013, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-22 23:09:10 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"David Hill" wrote

This has been in flower for the last few weeks.
It's growing about 6ft from the road at the base of a retaining wall.
I took these pictures today in a spell of heavy sleet, so didn't take
as much care as I might have done.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ownflowers.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...nflowers02.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...nflowers04.jpg

Looks like Leucojum vernum known as Snowflakes as apposed to Snowdrops.
http://www.kew.org/plants-fungi/Leucojum-vernum.htm

Sorry Bob, should have read the thread before I answered. But I think
you're right. Perhaps being against the wall has given it some
encouragement!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-01-2013, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/01/2013 19:06, David Hill wrote:
This has been in flower for the last few weeks.
It's growing about 6ft from the road at the base of a retaining wall.
I took these pictures today in a spell of heavy sleet, so didn't take as
much care as I might have done.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ownflowers.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...nflowers02.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...nflowers04.jpg
David @ the mild and almost snow free end of Swansea Bay

Looks like Allium triquetrum to me. I love it, but I know others find
it invasive. A friend has lots of it (but relatively well behaved),
whereas mine refuses to bulk up as much as I'd like. Hereabouts it
generally flowers around Maytime. I'm astonished it's flowering now.

http://www.wildflowersofireland.net/...Three-cornered

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 23-01-2013, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote ...

Bob Hobden said:

"David Hill" wrote

This has been in flower for the last few weeks.
It's growing about 6ft from the road at the base of a retaining wall.
I took these pictures today in a spell of heavy sleet, so didn't take
as much care as I might have done.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ownflowers.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...nflowers02.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...nflowers04.jpg

Looks like Leucojum vernum known as Snowflakes as apposed to Snowdrops.
http://www.kew.org/plants-fungi/Leucojum-vernum.htm

I don't think so

Leucojums have quite distinct green or yellow spots, which I can't see
on David or Bobs pics but you can see them here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leucojum

I agree with Chris it's a pesky allium. Break a bulb or crush leaves
and sniff for onion/garlic smell.

I can't say I've noticed any spots on ours, just pure white. I'll take a
closer look in a month or so.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 23-01-2013, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-22 19:06:35 +0000, David Hill said:

This has been in flower for the last few weeks.
It's growing about 6ft from the road at the base of a retaining wall.
I took these pictures today in a spell of heavy sleet, so didn't take
as much care as I might have done.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ownflowers.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...nflowers02.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...nflowers04.jpg

David @ the mild and almost snow free end of Swansea Bay

Probably Leucojum vernum, the spring snowflake. If you google for pics
of it you may recognise it.

Definitely not that Sacha, The petals are the wrong shape and no spot,
have a look at the flowers
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...nflowers05.jpg
I'm going to have to get down and take more photos of the clump,smell
the leaves, and look at the shape of the flower stems.
As it's not mine I am not going to dig up any part of it.
David
Old 23-01-2013, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-23 16:17:50 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Janet" wrote ...

Bob Hobden said:

"David Hill" wrote

[...]

I don't recall any spots on ours, though there's a variety called
Gravetye which has yellow spots. Otoh, here's a photo of Allium
trifolium take in USA. David's find may be bowed down by snow & cold if
it's this!
http://www.nargs.org/nargswiki/tiki-...p?imageId=2802
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-01-2013, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-23 16:17:50 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

I can't say I've noticed any spots on ours, just pure white. I'll take
a closer look in a month or so.

I don't recall any spots on ours, though there's a variety called
Gravetye which has yellow spots. Otoh, here's a photo of Allium
trifolium take in USA. David's find may be bowed down by snow & cold if
it's this!
http://www.nargs.org/nargswiki/tiki-...p?imageId=2802

That's not the A. trifolium I know. Maybe I got the name wrong. On
further research, yes, I have! Internet let me down the first time.
Try A. triquetrum. Lots of images here http://tinyurl.com/beqxvn2

(I was mislead by this:
http://www.fotolibra.com/gallery/493...cornered-leek/)

No.
I thought you had it till I looked at the young flowers, in the link you
posted they form as small bids on the stem, in my pic. they are sheathed
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...nflowers06.jpg
David
Old 23-01-2013, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/01/2013 10:42, Sacha wrote:
Probably Leucojum vernum, the spring snowflake. If you google for pics
of it you may recognise it.

Still looks like Allium triquetrum to me scaha, about the right amount
of developement at this time of the year too

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 23-01-2013, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-23 16:17:50 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

[...]

Not sure which of the two links I posted you mean (and your particular
picture comes up very small, unlike the three earlier ones). The
second of my two links shows a fairly well developed flower-head, but
they start life as a sheathed bud. Have a look at some of the images
on the first (Tinyurl/Google) link, and in particular
http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/t...ed-leek.26153/
and scroll down to the image, or several images here
http://www.freenatureimages.eu/plant...-cornered-Leek.
I'm pretty sure what you've got is A. triquetrum. The only thing that
worries me is that it's in flower now.

Where's SRH when you need him!

Without an answer. I quickly considered and rejected Galanthus woronowii
and Leucojum aestivum. It's flowering remarkably early, but I think it
must be an Allium. Perhaps some close up photos would help.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

On 2013-01-23 16:17:50 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

[...]

I will try to take more pics when the weather is better, The last were
taken in heavy sleet so I didn't hang about, now we have another 2 or so
inches of snow and have heavy rain forecast in the next few days.
David
Old 23-01-2013, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-23 16:17:50 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

I can't say I've noticed any spots on ours, just pure white. I'll take
a closer look in a month or so.

I don't recall any spots on ours, though there's a variety called
Gravetye which has yellow spots. Otoh, here's a photo of Allium
trifolium take in USA. David's find may be bowed down by snow & cold if
it's this!
http://www.nargs.org/nargswiki/tiki-...p?imageId=2802

That's not the A. trifolium I know. Maybe I got the name wrong. On
further research, yes, I have! Internet let me down the first time.
Try A. triquetrum. Lots of images here http://tinyurl.com/beqxvn2

(I was mislead by this:
http://www.fotolibra.com/gallery/493...cornered-leek/)

Yes, I saw lots of those and wondered if it was the one you meant. It
could be David's but still doesn't look quite right, imo.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com