Old 04-02-2013, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I want this!

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...do_4098-06.JPG

If I'm correct this is the very private garden of astonishing beauty
that someone told me about a few years ago. But I can't remember who!
What an amazing achievement it is.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-02-2013, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 09:54:41 +0000, Sacha wrote:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...do_4098-06.JPG

If I'm correct this is the very private garden of astonishing beauty
that someone told me about a few years ago. But I can't remember who!
What an amazing achievement it is.

Reminds me a bit of the Japanese Garden in Portland, Oregon.

Don't have the required slope here (thank goodness) or the land (pity).

Cheers

Dave R
Old 04-02-2013, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-02-04 11:26:11 +0000, David.WE.Roberts said:

On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 09:54:41 +0000, Sacha wrote:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...do_4098-06.JPG

If I'm correct this is the very private garden of astonishing beauty
that someone told me about a few years ago. But I can't remember who!
What an amazing achievement it is.

Reminds me a bit of the Japanese Garden in Portland, Oregon.

Don't have the required slope here (thank goodness) or the land (pity).

Cheers

Dave R

Or possibly the 10 or so gardeners which I imagine they must need! But
what a wonderful place and a work of real love it seems to be.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-02-2013, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/02/2013 09:54, Sacha wrote:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...do_4098-06.JPG

If I'm correct this is the very private garden of astonishing beauty
that someone told me about a few years ago. But I can't remember who!
What an amazing achievement it is.

Lovely! I'd settle for those beautiful mossy-headed trees for my
woodland bank. If only I could maintain them like that.
--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 04-02-2013, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-02-04 13:49:32 +0000, Spider said:

On 04/02/2013 09:54, Sacha wrote:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...do_4098-06.JPG

If I'm correct this is the very private garden of astonishing beauty
that someone told me about a few years ago. But I can't remember who!
What an amazing achievement it is.

Lovely! I'd settle for those beautiful mossy-headed trees for my
woodland bank. If only I could maintain them like that.

That would probably take 2 of the gardeners full time!

I'd love a moss-garden and that makes me wonder if Roger's steeply
sloping bank could be a moss garden? He says there's moss at the top on
the lawn so... However, if the bank slopes all that steeply it may
drain too well for moss to be happy.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-02-2013, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-02-04 13:49:32 +0000, Spider said:

On 04/02/2013 09:54, Sacha wrote:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...do_4098-06.JPG

If I'm correct this is the very private garden of astonishing beauty
that someone told me about a few years ago. But I can't remember who!
What an amazing achievement it is.

Lovely! I'd settle for those beautiful mossy-headed trees for my
woodland bank. If only I could maintain them like that.

That would probably take 2 of the gardeners full time!

I'd love a moss-garden and that makes me wonder if Roger's steeply
sloping bank could be a moss garden? He says there's moss at the top on
the lawn so... However, if the bank slopes all that steeply it may drain
too well for moss to be happy.

Well, I'm on a sloping site and, as well as getting moss in damp shady
places, I also get different mosses and pearlwort colonising drier, more
open places. It should be possible for Roger to have a moss garden, but
the danger is that there wouldn't be enough moss cover to prevent weeds
and grasses getting in, especially if he has neighbours with weedy gardens.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Replacing a heather bed (was I want this!)

On 2013-02-04 13:49:32 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

Unfortunately, weeds seem to get into absolutely everything and the
hell with banks like that is that weeding them through other plants is
near to impossible. Without knowing it, it's hard to judge but I'd
almost be inclined to let it 'go native' and strim it once a year, if
that's possible.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-02-2013, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-02-04 13:49:32 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

I daresay it's possible, but I wouldn't want to be his neighour! I have
an otherwise excellent neighbour whose lawn is unkemp and rarely mowed.
It is often full of weed and flowering grasses, the seed of which is
blown into my garden:~(. The idea of living next to someone who
strimmed his weeds once a year is almost unthinkable.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-02-04 13:49:32 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

Wild flowers, Spider, wild flowers. ;-))
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-02-2013, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-02-04 13:49:32 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

Wild? Bloody livid Sasha!!

Mike

Old 04-02-2013, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-02-04 13:49:32 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

Yeah yeah, Sacha. I love wild flowers. I even love a few of *their*
wild flowers. I don't love weeds, mine or theirs. Anyway, Roger's
garden has to satisfy SWMBO, who probably doesn't like weeds and would
probably would rather have something tidy. Sadly wild flowers rarely do
'tidy' for more than one season. That's because they're *wild* :@)).

Do let me know if you want some "wild flower" seed;~).

Old 04-02-2013, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-02-04 13:49:32 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

Thanks, our own wild flowers are doing just fine. I'm not allowed to
let them flourish though! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 05-02-2013, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yeah yeah, Sacha. I love wild flowers. I even love a few of *their*
wild flowers. I don't love weeds, mine or theirs. Anyway, Roger's
garden has to satisfy SWMBO, who probably doesn't like weeds and would
probably would rather have something tidy. Sadly wild flowers rarely
do 'tidy' for more than one season. That's because they're *wild* :@)).

Do let me know if you want some "wild flower" seed;~).

Thanks, our own wild flowers are doing just fine. I'm not allowed to let
them flourish though! ;-)

Wild flowers/
Don't you mean "Native Flora"
Old 05-02-2013, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-02-05 09:49:20 +0000, David Hill said:

Yeah yeah, Sacha. I love wild flowers. I even love a few of *their*
wild flowers. I don't love weeds, mine or theirs. Anyway, Roger's
garden has to satisfy SWMBO, who probably doesn't like weeds and would
probably would rather have something tidy. Sadly wild flowers rarely
do 'tidy' for more than one season. That's because they're *wild* :@)).

Do let me know if you want some "wild flower" seed;~).

Thanks, our own wild flowers are doing just fine. I'm not allowed to let
them flourish though! ;-)

Wild flowers/
Don't you mean "Native Flora"

Of course, I do. Silly moi!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 05-02-2013, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 13:49:32 +0000, Spider wrote:

On 04/02/2013 09:54, Sacha wrote:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...do_4098-06.JPG

If I'm correct this is the very private garden of astonishing beauty
that someone told me about a few years ago. But I can't remember who!
What an amazing achievement it is.

Lovely! I'd settle for those beautiful mossy-headed trees for my
woodland bank. If only I could maintain them like that.

The man across the road has the best kept hedges on the street. His
secret? He uses his hover mower on the tops to tidy them up.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk