Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-03-2013, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rose Recommendation Please

Hi all

I have a rose recently transplanted to my garden, namely an Iceberg
Floribunda White bush rose.

I would like to add a "companion" to this and was considering the blush
pink version of the above which I had seen while Googling.

Ringing a local garden centre, I was told that this rose was no longer
common place (although the white version is still around). Visiting
another garden centre with a good selection, I found the white Iceberg
but no others.

So the questions a

Have the coloured versions disappeared because they are "out of fashion"
or were they not particularly hardy/successful?

If I was looking for a rose with similar shape, blooms etc what would
the group recommend? Sites I have reviewed show dimensions of 900 high
x 700 wide final size and I wouldn't want to go larger.

I would prefer a rose with strong(ish) scent.

The location is east yorkshire where the soil is quite clayey (but has
had compost and rose fertiliser added).

The site is elevated and perhaps 1 to 2 degrees colder than the general
area surrounding temperature, although there are 6' fences all round for
shelter against wind at ground level. During the mid summer months, the
site gets sunlight from around 11:00 till 18:00.

Recommendations appreciated

thanks

Phil