Old 20-03-2013, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rose Recommendation Please

Hi all

I have a rose recently transplanted to my garden, namely an Iceberg
Floribunda White bush rose.

I would like to add a "companion" to this and was considering the blush
pink version of the above which I had seen while Googling.

Ringing a local garden centre, I was told that this rose was no longer
common place (although the white version is still around). Visiting
another garden centre with a good selection, I found the white Iceberg
but no others.

So the questions a

Have the coloured versions disappeared because they are "out of fashion"
or were they not particularly hardy/successful?

If I was looking for a rose with similar shape, blooms etc what would
the group recommend? Sites I have reviewed show dimensions of 900 high
x 700 wide final size and I wouldn't want to go larger.

I would prefer a rose with strong(ish) scent.

The location is east yorkshire where the soil is quite clayey (but has
had compost and rose fertiliser added).

The site is elevated and perhaps 1 to 2 degrees colder than the general
area surrounding temperature, although there are 6' fences all round for
shelter against wind at ground level. During the mid summer months, the
site gets sunlight from around 11:00 till 18:00.

Recommendations appreciated

thanks

Phil
Old 20-03-2013, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"thescullster" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

I think this trading on a successful name often results in a plant that is
around but briefly as they seldom measure up to the originals

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 20-03-2013, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-20 09:05:51 +0000, thescullster said:

Hi all

[...]

Take a look at the David Austin site. A Shropshire Lad seems to be a
good climber, repeat flowering and strongly perfumed. There is also
Cécile Brunner which is a beautifully shaped rose with a light
fragrance but it's not repeat flowering.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 21-03-2013, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/03/2013 10:13, Sacha wrote:
Take a look at the David Austin site. A Shropshire Lad seems to be a
good climber, repeat flowering and strongly perfumed. There is also
Cécile Brunner which is a beautifully shaped rose with a light fragrance
but it's not repeat flowering.

In my experience Austrin rose seem to lose 'vigour' (for want of better
word, long before roses from (for example) Beales

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 21-03-2013, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-21 00:22:39 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

On 20/03/2013 10:13, Sacha wrote:
Take a look at the David Austin site. A Shropshire Lad seems to be a
good climber, repeat flowering and strongly perfumed. There is also
Cécile Brunner which is a beautifully shaped rose with a light fragrance
but it's not repeat flowering.

In my experience Austrin rose seem to lose 'vigour' (for want of better
word, long before roses from (for example) Beales

I haven't found that, I must say, so perhaps it depends on soil and
other conditions?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 21-03-2013, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Phil wrote
[...]

Here are some places to look into...

http://www.wychcross.co.uk/
Huge selection of old and new roses, very helpful IME so worth a phone call
or mail at least.

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/#
Peter Beales, famous rose nursery.

http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/Advanced.asp
Look at "Gertrude Jekyll" although that may be too pink, nice perfume
though, and it won't grow too tall. There are others on this site that can
be bush or smaller climbers depending on how they are treated/pruned. We
have three along a 6ft West facing wall, Summer Song, Graham Thomas, and
Tess of the d'Urbervilles.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 21-03-2013, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks to all for links and recommendations

Phil
Old 21-03-2013, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Phil wrote

Thanks to all for links and recommendations

Just checked and Wych Cross do "Brilliant Pink Iceberg" if that is the one
you want.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 21-03-2013, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/03/2013 09:05, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

If I was looking for a rose with similar shape, blooms etc what would
the group recommend? Sites I have reviewed show dimensions of 900 high
x 700 wide final size and I wouldn't want to go larger.

I would prefer a rose with strong(ish) scent.

Margaret Merrill - has a fabulous scent and would fit the bill.

http://www.rose-gardening-made-easy....rill-rose.html

Paul