Old 12-04-2013, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Beechgrove Reminder

On 2013-04-12 08:57:39 +0100, David Hill said:

As they always say "finish the course, lots of fluids and rest". It's
a nasty one and is one of the 'echo' virus type. It takes a long time
to recover. We went down with it over Christmas (got through that thank
goodness) and felt terrible for a couple of weeks with the lingering
cough described. Even now, we both have the odd moment of feeling a bit
blech. Hope you're on the upward path soon.

This is my second does, first was after going down to Devon in Dec.
then this after another visit to Devon, this second bought has been a
lot worse, so it's back to the Dr this morning.
I had the flue jab as always and it's always worked for me, so I don't
know what this thing is, but it's vicious.
David @ the damp end of Swansea bay.

Whatever's been doing the rounds down here, it was indeed a vicious one.
It's just such bad luck that you get ill when coming down here for a bit
of r&r. One friend of ours had a bug last summer and only just started
to get really better just before Christmas. The trouble is that the
immune system, once weakened, is prey to so many other things, too.
Whatever we had, it wasn't the typical flu bug and we both had the jab.
It was just a really horrible, debilitating virus that gave us nasty
coughs but we didn't have the awful aching limbs and heads that usually
go with most well-known types of flu.

After much reading of NHS feedback, I'm now convinced I have some
version of whooping cough. Sounds like the NHS are in denial about its
re-emergence
Old 12-04-2013, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/04/2013 08:50, Martin wrote:
well spotted with the help of 101 Dalmatians

You're such a wag!!
but I don't want to make this a bone of contention Martin ...

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 12-04-2013, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/04/2013 10:12, Martin wrote:
After much reading of NHS feedback, I'm now convinced I have some
version of whooping cough. Sounds like the NHS are in denial about its
re-emergence

What does NHS Direct say?

My niece's twin daughters have had croup recently, they live in
Peacehaven Sussex.

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 12-04-2013, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-12 08:57:39 +0100, David Hill said:

[...]

Nothing much, but the "comments" suggest that the condition isn't being
picked up. A dry cough is assumed by GPs to have a viral origin
Old 12-04-2013, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

After much reading of NHS feedback, I'm now convinced I have some
version of whooping cough. Sounds like the NHS are in denial about its
re-emergence

Nonsense. There has been and still is,

a well publicised epidemic of it.

http://www.hpa.org.uk/NewsCentre/Nat...3PressReleases
/130201Casesofwhoopingcoughdeclineafterrecordnumber s/

http://tinyurl.com/bo9a988

"1 February 2013

There were 9,741* confirmed cases of whooping cough reported in England
and Wales in 2012, according to figures published today by the Health
Protection Agency (HPA). The total figure for 2012 is almost 10 times
higher than the number of cases reported in 2011 (1,119) and in 2008
(902) ? the last peak year before this current outbreak.

The December figures show a decrease for the second month running in
cases of whooping cough with 832 confirmed cases reported compared with
1,168 cases in November 2012. One further death in an infant with
laboratory confirmed whooping cough was reported in December bringing
the 2012 total number of deaths in babies under three months to 14.

The highest number of cases were reported in those aged 15 and over,
with a total of 8,059 cases in 2012, compared to 740 cases in 2011 and
493 cases in 2008.

Dr. Mary Ramsay, head of immunisation at the HPA, said: ?The December
figures show another welcome decrease in the overall number of whooping
cough cases since the peak in October. However, it is very important to
note that we usually see a reduction in cases of whooping cough at this
time of year so this decrease is in line with normal seasonal patterns."

(goes on with lots more, including regional figures and effects in
older people)

Janet

Old 12-04-2013, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/04/2013 14:16, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Thanks for the link(s), neither of which worked. However they gave me
the HPA site, which was all I really needed
Old 12-04-2013, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the link(s), neither of which worked.

They both worked for me.

I really must get some sleep :-)

Old 12-04-2013, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

What I've got/had isn't whooping cough.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

[...]

I haven't got measles.

Maybe we should start a new thread for "Diseases wot I haven't got".

Janet

Old 12-04-2013, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet wrote:
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

What I've got/had isn't whooping cough.

I haven't got measles.

Maybe we should start a new thread for "Diseases wot I haven't got".

I have never had malaria, which is truly amazing.

But, like most of the old fogies here, I have had whooping cough,
measles and all the rest of that lot.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/04/2013 13:43, Martin wrote:
Nothing much, but the "comments" suggest that the condition isn't being
picked up. A dry cough is assumed by GPs to have a viral origin

Good job you aren't a dog, one cause of a dry cough would definitely be
thought of as Heart problems

(just to cheer you up)

now back to being glad it's warmer but unfortunately we've had
torrential rain in batches this afternoon ...................

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 13-04-2013, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/04/2013 08:42, Martin wrote:
I didn't write that & I don't have a dry cough or a wet nose.

there's still time martin!

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 13-04-2013, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/04/2013 08:42, Martin wrote:
Us too. It is 7C the forecast fir tomorrow is still 21C.

yes here also, the sun will have to get its proverbial skates on if it's
going to heat anywhere by 19c tomorrow. it's actually quite cold out in
the garden though there's no wind as such. It rained a bit this morning
whilst I was in the gym but only drizzle, but the ground is damp.

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 13-04-2013, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-13 12:15:59 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

On 13/04/2013 08:42, Martin wrote:
I didn't write that & I don't have a dry cough or a wet nose.

there's still time martin!

Bob Martin?! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-04-2013, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/04/2013 22:17, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 12:17:36 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

On 13/04/2013 08:42, Martin wrote:
Us too. It is 7C the forecast fir tomorrow is still 21C.

yes here also, the sun will have to get its proverbial skates on if it's
going to heat anywhere by 19c tomorrow. it's actually quite cold out in
the garden though there's no wind as such. It rained a bit this morning
whilst I was in the gym but only drizzle, but the ground is damp.

It is still 10C at 23:16, the forecast for Sunday has been upped to
22C

Our forecast for Sunday is a top of 12c
David @ the damp end of Swansea Bay where we are still waiting for the
"Heavy" rain that was forecast .

Beechgrove Jake United Kingdom 2 31-08-2012 10:55 AM
Last Reminder - Beechgrove Garden Jake United Kingdom 0 29-03-2012 06:18 PM
Beechgrove Garden Jake United Kingdom 3 17-02-2012 06:05 PM
Beechgrove garden programme Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 2 07-09-2009 03:37 PM