Old 04-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Registered User

Default Mature Beech Tree - Pruning Advice

Hello this is my first post.

I have read many advice threads on this subject and realise it's a sensitive topic...I am trying to attach a picture of the object.

My neighbour has asked me to thin/reduce her tree. The tree looks fine to me but she wants less summer shading. I would like to help her as I would like to cut down another of her pine trees which is reducing my light over some fruit trees.

Instinct says the tree is fine, but some light thinning/reduction could be possible...it has been pruned before hence the current habbit.

Any advice on how I could prudently/sensitively assist are very welcome.

Thanks,
Malcolm
Old 04-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm F View Post
Hello this is my first post.

I have read many advice threads on this subject and realise it's a sensitive topic...I am trying to attach a picture of the object.

My neighbour has asked me to thin/reduce her tree. The tree looks fine to me but she wants less summer shading. I would like to help her as I would like to cut down another of her pine trees which is reducing my light over some fruit trees.

Instinct says the tree is fine, but some light thinning/reduction could be possible...it has been pruned before hence the current habbit.

Any advice on how I could prudently/sensitively assist are very welcome.

Thanks,
Malcolm
Picture attached...and grateful for advice
Attached Thumbnails
Mature Beech Tree - Pruning Advice-beech.jpg
Old 05-04-2013, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 4 Apr 2013 14:11:38 +0000, Malcolm F
wrote:

Hello this is my first post.

I have read many advice threads on this subject and realise it's a
sensitive topic...I am trying to attach a picture of the object.

My neighbour has asked me to thin/reduce her tree. The tree looks fine
to me but she wants less summer shading. I would like to help her as I
would like to cut down another of her pine trees which is reducing my
light over some fruit trees.

Instinct says the tree is fine, but some light thinning/reduction could
be possible...it has been pruned before hence the current habbit.

Any advice on how I could prudently/sensitively assist are very
welcome.

If you need to ask this question, I strongly recommend you get a
qualified arborist (tree surgeon) to do the job. It is very easy to
completely spoil the look of a tree with just one cut in the wrong
place. In addition you must consider the risks to life and limb (and
property) involved, since a mature beech is a big tree.

Gardening on Wilts/Somerset border
on slightly alkaline clay.