Old 17-04-2013, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default phlox

A friend gave me a birthday present of a pack from Waitrose of "summer
flowering bulbs for scent".
It contained 4 packs; lilies, acidanthera (I still call them that!)
freesias and a plhlox "laura".
Now do any of you know if a phlox comes from a bulb?
The pack had in it, packed in dry peat, a brown woody lump and a small
bundle of roots. My friend said sht probably broke it squashing it up
to pack it! I have planted both pieces in a pot with not much hope.
Phlox laura on the internet looks like a nice border phlox, mauve, and
one I would very much like!
I see Waitrose now have a garden section, in league with Crocus!

Pam in Bristol
Old 17-04-2013, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 17:28:29 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

A friend gave me a birthday present of a pack from Waitrose of "summer
flowering bulbs for scent".
It contained 4 packs; lilies, acidanthera (I still call them that!)
freesias and a plhlox "laura".
Now do any of you know if a phlox comes from a bulb?
The pack had in it, packed in dry peat, a brown woody lump and a small
bundle of roots. My friend said sht probably broke it squashing it up
to pack it! I have planted both pieces in a pot with not much hope.
Phlox laura on the internet looks like a nice border phlox, mauve, and
one I would very much like!
I see Waitrose now have a garden section, in league with Crocus!

Pam in Bristol

Phlox is a root not a bulb. What you describe sounds right. The lump
is probably the old main stem. If you planted the roots with wherever
it looks like that lump broke off at the top then you should be ok.

Crocus are cropping up everywhere these days (pardon the pun). I see
they're doing a lot for the Torygraph Gardening Club (whenever it says
"...available within x weeks" on a plant description that's Crocus).

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East end of Swansea Bay where the
showers of April have arrived!

Propagating Tall Phlox Dan D. Gardening 12 04-02-2004 01:32 AM
Mould on Phlox Roy Jones United Kingdom 0 23-12-2003 10:13 PM
Summer Phlox Jeff Hancock Gardening 2 15-07-2003 01:22 PM
????Why won't Phlox bloom???? TOM KAN PA Gardening 9 30-05-2003 04:08 PM
Fragrant Phlox... Chris S. Gardening 4 29-05-2003 08:56 PM