Old 29-04-2013, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Need to replace lawnmower

Greetings - old petrol lawnmower (cheap reconditioned model but lasted
6 years) has died. It's at the "hospital" being looked at, but I
suspect a new one is called for. I have a total of about 400sq metres
of lawn, about half of which is nice and level and half is really
"bumpy meadow". Moving to the lawn at the front of the house is via a
fairly long, stony pathway, so a lot of stress put on the wheels. I
would welcome input on which makes are recommended. Will be looking for
a self-propelled model this time as the years are passing on!

Many thanks

Old 30-04-2013, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"LocalHero" wrote in message

Greetings - old petrol lawnmower (cheap reconditioned model but lasted
6 years) has died. It's at the "hospital" being looked at, but I
suspect a new one is called for. I have a total of about 400sq metres
of lawn, about half of which is nice and level and half is really
"bumpy meadow". Moving to the lawn at the front of the house is via a
fairly long, stony pathway, so a lot of stress put on the wheels. I
would welcome input on which makes are recommended. Will be looking for
a self-propelled model this time as the years are passing on!

Many thanks

My old Hayter 56 is now at least 15 years old and was heavily used and
abused in its early years taming half an acre of wild (mostly) grass and
running up and down a gravel drive to reach the front lawn. I got it out
Easter weekend and it started second or third pull. Its self propelled via a
rear roller so needs no pushing but leaves a nice stripe on the lawn.

Mike

Old 30-04-2013, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/04/13 13:01, Muddymike wrote:
"LocalHero" wrote in message

[...]

Seconded. I have a Hayter Double 3, bought for rough orchard grass, but
it also does a good job on the lawn if I've let it get a bit shaggy.
Tough, perhaps a shade heavy, machine, self-propelled. I remember
buying it because it was possibly the last piece of advice my father
gave me before he died. He saw my (new) orchard and said, get a Hayter.
His logic was that Hayter was the brand local councils and groundsmen
chose for cutting large areas professionally. Time seems to be proving
his advice sound.
Old 30-04-2013, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , n says...

"LocalHero" wrote in message

[...]

They are unbelievably tough and rugged. I had a Hayterette which I
bought dirt cheap ex-hire in 1984. No idea how old it was when I got it
but certainly well used by many :-). We used it to tame a rough grazing
field into first, a football pitch and later, "lawn" and to cut paths
through the wood; ran it regularly for 25 years with no breakdowns or
repairs other than replacing the blades a couple of times. 4 years ago,
we got it out of winter hibernation and found it had died in its sleep.
RIP.

Janet.