Old 14-05-2013, 04:02 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire
Default Wild Mushrooms

Nice set of pictures here

10 poisonous mushrooms to watch out for in Britain - Telegraph
Old 14-05-2013, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Granity wrote:

Nice set of pictures here

'10 poisonous mushrooms to watch out for in Britain - Telegraph'
(http://tinyurl.com/cb6wzlr)

Nick just asked "how do you tell a yellow stainer from a field mushroom?"
Old 14-05-2013, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , wrote:
Granity wrote:

Nice set of pictures here

'10 poisonous mushrooms to watch out for in Britain - Telegraph'
(http://tinyurl.com/cb6wzlr)

Nick just asked "how do you tell a yellow stainer from a field mushroom?"

Actually, telling one from a horse mushroom is harder, because the
latter stain yellow, too. But they do it slowly, and to a slightly
yellow colour, not quickly to a bright yellow.

But the list is crap. Some of those are lethal, but many are not,
and the list was clearly put together to look impressive. Typical
torygraph.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-05-2013, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

(
http://tinyurl.com/cb6wzlr)

Nick just asked "how do you tell a yellow stainer from a field mushroom?"

Actually, telling one from a horse mushroom is harder, because the
latter stain yellow, too. But they do it slowly, and to a slightly
yellow colour, not quickly to a bright yellow.

But the list is crap. Some of those are lethal, but many are not,

And ISTR their advice on the false morel is somewhat misleading. It is
believed in the west that it is toxic and potentially lethal although it
is eaten cooked in Finland and Spain (sometimes with fatal consequences).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyromitra_esculenta

Cooked correctly it is supposed to be edible but I am not that keen on
eatin monomethylhydrazine YMMV. The true morel is absolutely delicious.

I think if they were going to do something like this they should have
shown the top deadly poison ones, the ones with most folk lore attached
and the edible ones that are too easily confused with toxic species. At
least that way they would be performing a useful service. As it is the
list looks more like the ones they could find with royalty free images!

and the list was clearly put together to look impressive. Typical
torygraph.

Their science writing has been rubbish for a long while. They are
stuffed to the gills with anti-science pundits although not to quite the
same extent as some of the other rabid right wing press.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 15-05-2013, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:

Last week there was a report that a woman made an omelette using
death cap taken from her garden. She died four days later, her husband
was very ill.

Yes.

Rule 1: Never, ever, under ANY circumstances eat anything that
looks like a cultivated mushroom unless it is very definite pink
or brown gills. Indeed, don't even mix them in the same basket
as field mushrooms.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-05-2013, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 14 May 2013 17:02:14 +0200, Granity
wrote:

Nice set of pictures here

'10 poisonous mushrooms to watch out for in Britain - Telegraph'
(http://tinyurl.com/cb6wzlr)

Useful site, good pictures. Thank you.

Pam in Bristol
Old 16-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Moore[_2_] View Post
'10 poisonous mushrooms to watch out for in Britain - Telegraph'
(http://tinyurl.com/cb6wzlr)[/i][/color]

Useful site, good pictures. Thank you.

Pam in Bristol
Actually the first photo is quite misleading. It might simply be an untypical specimen, but I think it is more likely it is just wrong. It is an important fact to realise that Amanita phalloides, the Death Cap, is rather variable in appearance, and, whilst it usually has a smooth cap, it does sometimes retain some veil fragments on the cap. But the particular pattern of veil fragments we see here is entirely typical of Amanita citrina, the False Death Cap, as a quick google images search confirms. So I think it much more likely they have accidentally given us a photo of the False Death Cap by mistake. A citrina is unlikely to poison you unless you eat it in large quantities, but the best reason not to eat it is that they are hard to tell apart, as this mistake reminds us.
Old 16-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name View Post
Nick just asked "how do you tell a yellow stainer from a field mushroom?"
If you cut a vertical slice through the stem, then the yellow stainer has a very bright yellow patch right at the bottom - so important to pick the whole thing, not slice it off. You can see it he Agaricus xanthodermus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They also smell horrible, which is likely enough to deter you from from eating them.

Old 23-05-2013, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Nice set of pictures here

'10 poisonous mushrooms to watch out for in Britain - Telegraph'
(http://tinyurl.com/cb6wzlr)

Useful site, good pictures. Thank you.

A much more useful site is
http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/

The photos are good (multiple specimens, cross sections etc),
he has good identification tools, clearly identifies poisonous
species and has good general advice.

However:
- his photos in his books are better; they are the
default standard for amateur mycologists

- it is unwise to rely on any single source of photos,
pen portraits, keys etc

Old 23-05-2013, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Nice set of pictures here

'10 poisonous mushrooms to watch out for in Britain - Telegraph'
(http://tinyurl.com/cb6wzlr)

Useful site, good pictures. Thank you.

A much more useful site is
http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/

The photos are good (multiple specimens, cross sections etc),
he has good identification tools, clearly identifies poisonous
species and has good general advice.

However:
- his photos in his books are better; they are the
default standard for amateur mycologists

- it is unwise to rely on any single source of photos,
pen portraits, keys etc

This thread reminds me of ..........................

I was talking to a guy in the line at Tesco. The conversation got around
to wives, and he said he had been widowed three times.
I said "Three wives, all dead and buried?"
He said "Yes."
"What happened to the first one?"
"Poison Mushrooms."
"What happened to the second one?"
"Poison Mushrooms."
"And the third?"
"Fractured skull."
"How did that happen?"
"She wouldn't eat the poison mushrooms."
Old 23-05-2013, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Tom Gardner wrote:

A much more useful site is
http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/

The photos are good (multiple specimens, cross sections etc),
he has good identification tools, clearly identifies poisonous
species and has good general advice.

However:
- his photos in his books are better; they are the
default standard for amateur mycologists

- it is unwise to rely on any single source of photos,
pen portraits, keys etc

Yes. he has the usual problem with Boletus satanas, of course :-)

That is almost universally claimed to be deadly, but evidence for
that is essentially absent. While there probably has been the odd
death, that is also true of many of the poisonous mushrooms NOT
classified as deadly - some people are very sensitive to particular
toxins or otherwise vulnerable. But nobody wants to risk downgrading
it to merely poisonous!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-05-2013, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
In article ,
Tom Gardner wrote:

[...]

Personal experiences...

False Chantarelle (Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca) is usually marked
as poisonous and/or inedible. However as it wasn't marked that
way in the early 70s, I've eaten lots with the only result being
that I had a delicious meal. Location: Headly Heath, North Downs,
under bracken.

Shaggy Parasol ((Macro)Lepiota racodes) is often marked as edible.
I've eaten it and found it delicious. On a different occasion,
however, it caused my entire alimentary canal to rebel - maybe
it is significant that it was growing under laurel.

Conclusion: wild food is indeed wild.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:

Yes. he has the usual problem with Boletus satanas, of course :-)

That is almost universally claimed to be deadly, but evidence for
that is essentially absent. While there probably has been the odd
death, that is also true of many of the poisonous mushrooms NOT
classified as deadly - some people are very sensitive to particular
toxins or otherwise vulnerable. But nobody wants to risk downgrading
it to merely poisonous!

He says possibly "Poisonous – possibly deadly"

Not my point. He includes it in the short list of deadly fungi,
but does not include many others that have been known to cause
many more deaths. It has had a bad press for at least a century,
but there is no evidence for it. But, BECAUSE all books refer to
it as deadly, all authors play safe and continue to classify it
as deadly.

Wiki says poisonous but doesn't say deadly
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boletus_satanas

Wikipedia is not a mycology reference, amateur or otherwise, and
should never be trusted with life-threatening decisions. It is
usually reliable, but that's not enough.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.