Old 15-05-2013, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Now is the time......

To get runner bean seeds into the ground, along with mid-season pea and end
of season broad bean. I wonder if we can get another sowing later in the
year? I am going to give it a go. Nothing to lose(I keep seed).

Good luck.
Baz
Old 15-05-2013, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/05/2013 13:31, Baz wrote:
To get runner bean seeds into the ground, along with mid-season pea and end
of season broad bean. I wonder if we can get another sowing later in the
year? I am going to give it a go. Nothing to lose(I keep seed).

You are joking I take it. It is practically snowing outside here today!
Visibility is too poor to see the Pennines and confirm if snow is lying.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 15-05-2013, 09:51 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Brown View Post
On 15/05/2013 13:31, Baz wrote:
To get runner bean seeds into the ground, along with mid-season pea and end
of season broad bean. I wonder if we can get another sowing later in the
year? I am going to give it a go. Nothing to lose(I keep seed).

You are joking I take it. It is practically snowing outside here today!
Visibility is too poor to see the Pennines and confirm if snow is lying.
I sowed my runner beans today in pots in the greenhouse, in the hope that in 6 weeks time (end June) they may be able to chance it outside.
__________________
Old 16-05-2013, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/05/2013 21:51, kay wrote:
Martin Brown;983335 Wrote:
On 15/05/2013 13:31, Baz wrote:-
To get runner bean seeds into the ground, along with mid-season pea and
end
of season broad bean. I wonder if we can get another sowing later in
the
year? I am going to give it a go. Nothing to lose(I keep seed).-

You are joking I take it. It is practically snowing outside here today!
Visibility is too poor to see the Pennines and confirm if snow is
lying.

I sowed my runner beans today in pots in the greenhouse, in the hope
that in 6 weeks time (end June) they may be able to chance it outside.

6 weeks from sowing to planting?

Old 16-05-2013, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:
On 15/05/2013 21:51, kay wrote:
Martin Brown;983335 Wrote:
On 15/05/2013 13:31, Baz wrote:-
To get runner bean seeds into the ground, along with mid-season pea and
end
of season broad bean. I wonder if we can get another sowing later in
the
year? I am going to give it a go. Nothing to lose(I keep seed).-

You are joking I take it. It is practically snowing outside here today!
Visibility is too poor to see the Pennines and confirm if snow is
lying.

I sowed my runner beans today in pots in the greenhouse, in the hope
that in 6 weeks time (end June) they may be able to chance it outside.

6 weeks from sowing to planting?

I put my plants out yesterday, becayse they were getting too big
for the conservatory. They won't like it, but I hope they will
survive.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 16-05-2013, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/05/2013 09:12, wrote:
In article ,
David Hill wrote:
On 15/05/2013 21:51, kay wrote:
Martin Brown;983335 Wrote:
On 15/05/2013 13:31, Baz wrote:-
To get runner bean seeds into the ground, along with mid-season pea and
end
of season broad bean. I wonder if we can get another sowing later in
the
year? I am going to give it a go. Nothing to lose(I keep seed).-

You are joking I take it. It is practically snowing outside here today!
Visibility is too poor to see the Pennines and confirm if snow is
lying.

I sowed my runner beans today in pots in the greenhouse, in the hope
that in 6 weeks time (end June) they may be able to chance it outside.

6 weeks from sowing to planting?

I put my plants out yesterday, becayse they were getting too big
for the conservatory. They won't like it, but I hope they will
survive.

But you are a fair bit further south. It *is* actually sunny and warm up
here today, but yesterday it was on the edge of snowing and we had the
CH on *and* the wood burning stove running to keep warm.

The snow didn't lie overnight and was all gone even on the moors.

Glad I haven't got anything really tender planted outside yet.
More due to my inefficiency and other commitments than anything else.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 16-05-2013, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

kay wrote:
I sowed my runner beans today in pots in the greenhouse, in the hope
that in 6 weeks time (end June) they may be able to chance it outside.

I put runner beans in in pots in greenhouse a week ago, no sign of life yet.
French and dwarf beans have been in for a month or more, and are looking huge.
Still scared to put them out (but mostly cos last year they all got slugged
rather than the weather being the issue)

Old 16-05-2013, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/05/2013 10:01, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 16 May 2013 09:45:47 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 16/05/2013 09:12, wrote:
In article ,
David Hill wrote:
On 15/05/2013 21:51, kay wrote:
Martin Brown;983335 Wrote:
On 15/05/2013 13:31, Baz wrote:-
[...]

The gales blew all the blossom off our Nashi pear before it could
germinate. No Nashi pears this year.

Germinate?
Pollinate I think
Old 16-05-2013, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote in
:

On 16/05/2013 10:01, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 16 May 2013 09:45:47 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:ar.

Germinate?
Pollinate I think

Yes, he meant pollinate, I am sure.

Baz
Old 16-05-2013, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , kay.c09ee67
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Martin Brown;983335 Wrote:
On 15/05/2013 13:31, Baz wrote:-
To get runner bean seeds into the ground, along with mid-season pea and
end
of season broad bean. I wonder if we can get another sowing later in
the
year? I am going to give it a go. Nothing to lose(I keep seed).-

You are joking I take it. It is practically snowing outside here today!
Visibility is too poor to see the Pennines and confirm if snow is
lying.

I sowed my runner beans today in pots in the greenhouse, in the hope
that in 6 weeks time (end June) they may be able to chance it outside.

I looked in vain for signs of life from my outdoor sowing in
individual milkpot cloches.... and decided it's time to make an indoor
back-up sowing :-(

Fresh snow visible on the top of Goatfell.

Janet

Old 16-05-2013, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...

The gales blew all the blossom off our Nashi pear before it could
germinate. No Nashi pears this year.

Seeds germinate, blossom gets pollinated; (or not, as the case may
be)

Janet

Old 16-05-2013, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David Hill wrote:
I put runner beans in in pots in greenhouse a week ago, no sign of life yet.
French and dwarf beans have been in for a month or more, and are looking huge.
Still scared to put them out (but mostly cos last year they all got slugged
rather than the weather being the issue)

If you are growing dwarf French Beans then why not grow some on in large
pots inside,
That way you will have some early beans.

I probably will. I may possibly put some in hanging baskets, too. Thing is
I'm never really sure until after the summer fete how many of the plants are
still 'mine'
Old 16-05-2013, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote

To get runner bean seeds into the ground, along with mid-season pea and end
of season broad bean. I wonder if we can get another sowing later in the
year? I am going to give it a go. Nothing to lose(I keep seed).

We have planted another crop of peas for September picking in previous
years, we use "Early Onward" for both early and late crops.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.