Old 18-05-2013, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gravelled bed

We have a 3x3 metre bed that needs to be low maintenance. We have
bought a decent size Crinodendron hookerianum (as suggested in a
thread a few weeks ago) to plant in the centre. The proposal is to
lay weed control fabric over the area and then apply approximately
60mm of gravel, possibly leaving a narrow bed at one edge for small
perennial plants.

The question is - is it OK to put the fabric and gravel right up to
the base of the Crinodendron or should there be a clear area of soil,
say 60 cms diameter?
--
rbel
Old 18-05-2013, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/05/2013 20:26, rbel wrote:

We have a 3x3 metre bed that needs to be low maintenance. We have
bought a decent size Crinodendron hookerianum (as suggested in a
thread a few weeks ago) to plant in the centre. The proposal is to
lay weed control fabric over the area and then apply approximately
60mm of gravel, possibly leaving a narrow bed at one edge for small
perennial plants.

The question is - is it OK to put the fabric and gravel right up to
the base of the Crinodendron or should there be a clear area of soil,
say 60 cms diameter?

You can put the fabric and gravel right up to the base. The best way to
do it is to cut a large X in the fabric and after planting through it
with the stem at the centre of the X, put the loose fabric back.
Crinodendron seems to often grow with multiple stems from the base, and
a loose fabric is the easiest way to accommodate several stems.

--

Jeff