Old 08-06-2013, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Washing up liquid

I was just talking to Matthew about some people using washing up liquid
to spray whitefly and he's adamant that it has to be Fairy Liquid! He
commented that 'all that eco-friendly stuff is no good' and the
constituents cause leaf scorch. So, for what it's worth I pass it on.
Not that I'm suggesting for one second that anyone should use a washing
up liquid for anything other than its intended purpose but we know how
some people like to bend the rules.....
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-06-2013, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in :

I was just talking to Matthew about some people using washing up liquid
to spray whitefly and he's adamant that it has to be Fairy Liquid! He
commented that 'all that eco-friendly stuff is no good' and the
constituents cause leaf scorch. So, for what it's worth I pass it on.
Not that I'm suggesting for one second that anyone should use a washing
up liquid for anything other than its intended purpose but we know how
some people like to bend the rules.....

We always have bought Fairy Liquid, it's sort of a tradition for us from
childhood. It is good stuff. Needs to be good when it is my turn to cook!
When I mentioned in a past thread about spraying with it I was informed
that I need to use liquid soap instead!

Thanks.
Baz
Old 08-06-2013, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 8 Jun 2013 09:58:14 +0100, Sacha wrote:

I was just talking to Matthew about some people using washing up liquid
to spray whitefly and he's adamant that it has to be Fairy Liquid! He
commented that 'all that eco-friendly stuff is no good' and the
constituents cause leaf scorch. So, for what it's worth I pass it on.
Not that I'm suggesting for one second that anyone should use a washing
up liquid for anything other than its intended purpose but we know how
some people like to bend the rules.....

Specific brand is a new one on me though I've read that the water used
for the mix needs to be warm, that the solution needs to be weak, that
it's best to wash off with plain water after a few hours, that you
need to reapply every 4-5 days and that fuchsias and some other plants
may be harmed by the soap. Oh, and ladybird larvae, which are the most
voracious consumers of aphids, are also killed by the soap solution.

SB Plant Invigorator is good against white-, green- and black-fly and
it also seems to control lily beetle. The instructions seem a lot less
complicated than those for soapy water.

After a year with high ladybird and lacewing populations and no aphids
found, this year I have yet to see a ladybird or lacewing (hoverflies
are in abundance) and I have only found greenfly on one rose bush
(and few enough to allow finger squishing). No whitefly yet.

Badger having departed, hedgehogs have returned.

Right! Tea break over.....

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 08-06-2013, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

I was just talking to Matthew about some people using washing up liquid
to spray whitefly and he's adamant that it has to be Fairy Liquid! He
commented that 'all that eco-friendly stuff is no good' and the
constituents cause leaf scorch. So, for what it's worth I pass it on.
Not that I'm suggesting for one second that anyone should use a washing
up liquid for anything other than its intended purpose but we know how
some people like to bend the rules.....

A while ago, I had trouble with woolly aphid on a large
ornamental crab apple and used washing up liquid at the
concentration of a generous squirt to a 5 litre Killaspray. The
aphids did get knocked back, but they were soon followed by all
the leaves dropping off.

I mentioned this once before, and got the comment:

I don't think the amount is too vital as long as its not too much.

To which I could only respond: To be pedantic, isn't that a
rather circular argument?

The next winter I tried a tar oil wash (when it was still
permitted) but this was difficult to use without killing stuff in
my, and my neighbour's, borders.

Eventually I admitted defeat, and a snake bark maple is now
filling the spot.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 8 Jun 2013 09:58:14 +0100, Sacha wrote:

I was just talking to Matthew about some people using washing up liquid
to spray whitefly and he's adamant that it has to be Fairy Liquid! He
commented that 'all that eco-friendly stuff is no good' and the
constituents cause leaf scorch. So, for what it's worth I pass it on.
Not that I'm suggesting for one second that anyone should use a washing
up liquid for anything other than its intended purpose but we know how
some people like to bend the rules.....

I use any old brand of washing up liquid and it works on whitefly and
blackfly.