Old 08-06-2011, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default White flies and washing up liquid?

The Palmolive brand washing up liquid was effective against the black
fly on the broad beans, one or two are appearing again now though so
time for a respray.

How about white fly? Some of young brassica plants are looking poorly
and investigation shows some of them have white fly underneath the
leaves. Will washing up liquid be effective against them too?

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
. fr...
The Palmolive brand washing up liquid was effective against the black fly
on the broad beans, one or two are appearing again now though so time for
a respray.

How about white fly? Some of young brassica plants are looking poorly and
investigation shows some of them have white fly underneath the leaves.
Will washing up liquid be effective against them too?

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Bit of a fiddly and wet job if you are not careful, but we found that going
up from underneath and pointing up with the hose shifted them :-))

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David in Normandy wrote in news:4defd3c0$0
:

The Palmolive brand washing up liquid was effective against the black
fly on the broad beans, one or two are appearing again now though so
time for a respray.

How about white fly? Some of young brassica plants are looking poorly
and investigation shows some of them have white fly underneath the
leaves. Will washing up liquid be effective against them too?

David,
Last year I had a huge whitefly infestation with all of my brassicas.
I think it was because I noticed them too late and could not keep on top of
them. I took remedial action by using a car vacuum cleaner. ALL of the
brass. suffered and were not really worth harvesting, but the vac worked a
bit
This year I have used a systemic bug killer on all brass. when planted, at
2" tall.(I grew all from seed). They look good now, but after spraying
looked sick with yellow leaves. We will see what happens after the second
dose. It says on the label to use every 4-6 weeks.
I HATE using chemicals but I aren't watching my garden turning into a haven
for unwanted, disease carrying flying insects again.

If you are interested the product I have is a Bayer Garden product called
"Provado Ultimate Bug Killer Concentrate2"

BTW if you nip the tops out on the broad bean plants after some pods have
set the blackfly will be gone and also will encourage new pods.

I hope this helps, David

Baz
Old 10-06-2011, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
. fr...
The Palmolive brand washing up liquid was effective against the black fly
on the broad beans, one or two are appearing again now though so time for
a respray.

How about white fly? Some of young brassica plants are looking poorly and
investigation shows some of them have white fly underneath the leaves.
Will washing up liquid be effective against them too?

Do you rinse it off after, say, a couple of hours, after it has had time to
kill the bugs?
One of the gardening gurus on the radio here suggests that.
I have an infestation of aphids on my redcurrants and I will spray them this
w/e with soap, perhaps beefed up with a little pyrethrin.
Graham

Old 11-06-2011, 02:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
graham wrote:
I have an infestation of aphids on my redcurrants and I will spray them
this
w/e with soap, perhaps beefed up with a little pyrethrin.

I've never seen aphids on my redcurrants. Maybe there are just tastier
things for them to live on.

The problem with my recurrants is that I came back from a few days at my
parents and the bloody birds have stripped the lot. :'(

I've had them for several years now and the leaves curl and turn purple, but
don't die. The fruit hasn't set yet (Spring is really cool here and
everything is late).
Some years the birds take a % but don't completely strip the bushes.
Graham

Old 11-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Registered User

Location: Worcestershire

Hi guys,

New to the forum but in a dilemma.

Brassicas.

All were doing fine, VERY healthy but I did have a white fly problem and the leaves on all , cauliflower, sprouts and broccoli, were being eaten away. and becoming very holy.

Anyway, my Mum suggested I spray the plants with very diluted washing up liquid, I checked on the internet and found that it was not a wives tale but people actually stated that it worked.

So I did spray all three groups with VERY diluted washing up liquid and cold water and the white fly appeared to shift away.

All was fine, I rinsed all the plants with the hose the same evening and the white fly appeared to stay away. That was a week ago. Two days ago, all was fine, the leaves and vegetables were healthy and looking great.

I went top work, came home and the following day checked the brassicas.

Sprouts and brocolli are loosing leaves, brown in colour crispy in places and both groups of plants are looking very thin as though they are dying.

Cauliflower is fine, no problem but is in a different patch to the other two.

We do have moles in the garden, will moles effect the plants so quickly and in this way ?

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mark