Old 14-06-2013, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strange.

The other day I sprayed my brambles with a hormone weed killer, within a
day they had started to twist as they should, one clump was at the base
of a Pyracantha that I had cut back over the winter, the new growth on
this also started to twist though it didn't get sprayed.
I always spray in the late evening when the wind has dropped and there
is no sun to evaporate the spray thus preventing fume etc rising up to
effect near by plants.
Well after the rain we have had in the last couple of days the growth
has straightened out and is now back to normal, whilst the targeted
weeds are still on their way out.
David @ the damp side of Swansea Bay
Old 14-06-2013, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/06/2013 12:38, David Hill wrote:
The other day I sprayed my brambles with a hormone weed killer, within a
day they had started to twist as they should, one clump was at the base
of a Pyracantha that I had cut back over the winter, the new growth on
this also started to twist though it didn't get sprayed.

The thing about synthetic plant auxins is it only takes the tiniest
amount to have an effect, but the dose ultimately makes the poison.

I let my brambles grow in the wild part of the garden.
Nothing quite beats apple and bramble pie!

I always spray in the late evening when the wind has dropped and there
is no sun to evaporate the spray thus preventing fume etc rising up to
effect near by plants.

In still conditions the finest mist can drift or diffuse around nearby.
It is slightly better to spray when there is a slight steady wind away
from anything really precious. I don't always follow this advice.

I have a modified golden syrup bottle with weedkiller in and a thick
candle wick through the top for spot weeding in tight spots without any
risk of spray drift. You have to keep an eye out for drips though!

Well after the rain we have had in the last couple of days the growth
has straightened out and is now back to normal, whilst the targeted
weeds are still on their way out.
David @ the damp side of Swansea Bay

They perhaps got enough to briefly affect the meristem but not for long.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown