Old 18-06-2013, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bud drop on Holboellia

We've had a letter from a frequent visitor to the nursery who lives in
Wisbech. She says that some years ago they bought a Holboellia and that
it's a vigorous and healthy plant. She couldn't remember the name but
thought it was a jasmine and wrote to us asking for the ID. As a PS,
she said that it forms buds beautifully but then they fall off. She
thinks it's because of the cold but as it forms buds and the plant
itself is unscathed, we suspect it's because it's too dry. But we
wondered if anyone else in that area has experience of this problem
with a Holboellia?

I suppose it could be a late frost that's hitting it but again, the
leaves appear not to be touched at all. We've suggested that she gives
it a good drink in dry spells and particularly if it's in the rain
shadow of the house. If anyone else living 'up there' has any
experience of this, we'd love to hear about it.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-06-2013, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

[...]

Yes, definitely. I gave up on it after a few years of that. Like
many plants, its buds are a lot more sensitive than its leaves.
Indeed, its mature leaves are extremely hardy, and only the very
young ones even approach the buds in tenderness.

And it was definitely the frost that did it in some years, but it
could have been just being too cold for too long in others. The
plant could have been dry immediately under its stem, but there
was plenty of water where its roots will have got to.

I haven't yet been able to actually KILL it, of course :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-06-2013, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-18 14:53:54 +0100, said:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Nick. I'll pass all this on to her.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-06-2013, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

If frosted the buds turn black before dropping off, its usually very drought
tolerant so I would be surprised if it was that, cold damage sounds more
likely, its better when we have very cold winters as it holds flowering
back, mild years like this year it flowers early and I lost a lot of flower
buds in March frosts, happily this year the plants have tried again and I
have a lot of flower at the moment.

PS I normally find the female flowers are weeks later than the males, which
has always struck me as odd

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 19-06-2013, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-19 17:10:03 +0100, Charlie Pridham said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

She sent us a few leaves and some buds and neither was black at all.
She's going to make sure it's not drying out and will probably cover it
with fleece in the winter. But if they usually turn black, it isn't
frost, though it could be cold.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Drop one drop per day for one phalaenopsis? Markjump Orchids 0 07-01-2013 08:47 PM
Holboellia latifolia Space[_2_] United Kingdom 4 10-05-2008 11:19 PM
Holboellia fruits Sacha United Kingdom 9 17-12-2005 10:35 AM
capsicum flower drop Mitch Kosklin Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Calibrating Scotts Accugreen 1000 drop spreader Christopher Lawns 4 30-03-2003 04:44 PM