Old 24-06-2013, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can you identify this plant?

It is growing in front of a disused garage door on a car park. It is in in
full bloom and is quite striking. I have never seen it before during my
long lifetime.

It is about 1' x 1' and is literally covered in rich yellow trumpet like
flowers which are about half an inch long. There are about twelve flowers
in a cluster at the end of each stem and the foliage is similar to this
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...d=0CI0BEPwdMAo.

Old 24-06-2013, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
It is growing in front of a disused garage door on a car park. It is in in
full bloom and is quite striking. I have never seen it before during my
long lifetime.

It is about 1' x 1' and is literally covered in rich yellow trumpet like
flowers which are about half an inch long. There are about twelve flowers
in a cluster at the end of each stem and the foliage is similar to this
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...d=0CI0BEPwdMAo.

I have been googling with its description and I am fairly certain that it is
this one.
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur..._wmhf8DvdsM%3A

Old 24-06-2013, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
It is growing in front of a disused garage door on a car park. It is in
in full bloom and is quite striking. I have never seen it before during
my long lifetime.

It is about 1' x 1' and is literally covered in rich yellow trumpet like
flowers which are about half an inch long. There are about twelve
flowers in a cluster at the end of each stem and the foliage is similar
to this
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...d=0CI0BEPwdMAo.

I have been googling with its description and I am fairly certain that it
is this one.
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur..._wmhf8DvdsM%3A

Sorry, I meant to send this one, but things went wrong
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur..._wmhf8DvdsM%3A

Old 24-06-2013, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
It is growing in front of a disused garage door on a car park. It is in
in full bloom and is quite striking. I have never seen it before during
my long lifetime.

It is about 1' x 1' and is literally covered in rich yellow trumpet like
flowers which are about half an inch long. There are about twelve
flowers in a cluster at the end of each stem and the foliage is similar
to this
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...d=0CI0BEPwdMAo.

I have been googling with its description and I am fairly certain that it
is this one.
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur..._wmhf8DvdsM%3A

Sorry, I meant to send this one, but things went wrong
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur..._wmhf8DvdsM%3A

OK, sorry again, but its number two on top line.

Old 24-06-2013, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/06/2013 20:13, Emrys Davies wrote:
It is growing in front of a disused garage door on a car park. It is in
in full bloom and is quite striking. I have never seen it before during
my long lifetime.

It is about 1' x 1' and is literally covered in rich yellow trumpet like
flowers which are about half an inch long. There are about twelve
flowers in a cluster at the end of each stem and the foliage is similar
to this
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...d=0CI0BEPwdMAo.

I have a feeling I know the plant , but it escapes me for now, doubt if
it's this
http://www.robsplants.com/stock/photo.php?id=59

Old 24-06-2013, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/06/2013 21:02, Emrys Davies wrote:

[...]

Quite a bit of it growing in walls round here, some nice plants in a
wall close to the traffic lights at the turn to Tesco, was just looking
at it on Saturday.
Old 24-06-2013, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Well done Emrys,
It's lovely to have someone look for themselves and not just post a
vague description and then sit back waiting for everyone else to do the
work.
Old 24-06-2013, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

It's Corydalis lutea:

http://www.finegardening.com/plantgu...corydalis.aspx

It can invade slightly, but so pretty it's worth a bit of trouble.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 24-06-2013, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

"Emrys Davies" wrote ...

It is growing in front of a disused garage door on a car park. It is in in
full bloom and is quite striking. I have never seen it before during my
long lifetime.

It is about 1' x 1' and is literally covered in rich yellow trumpet like
flowers which are about half an inch long. There are about twelve flowers
in a cluster at the end of each stem and the foliage is similar to this
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...d=0CI0BEPwdMAo.

Funny enough one of those turned up in our front garden last year, it's
stunning this year. I've looked around and can't find it in anyone else's
garden locally.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 24-06-2013, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 22:49:15 +0100, "Bob" wrote:

"Emrys Davies" wrote ...

It is growing in front of a disused garage door on a car park. It is in in
full bloom and is quite striking. I have never seen it before during my
long lifetime.

It is about 1' x 1' and is literally covered in rich yellow trumpet like
flowers which are about half an inch long. There are about twelve flowers
in a cluster at the end of each stem and the foliage is similar to this
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...d=0CI0BEPwdMAo.

Funny enough one of those turned up in our front garden last year, it's
stunning this year. I've looked around and can't find it in anyone else's
garden locally.

It soon will be if you leave yours to seed! It grows like a weed in my
front garden. I brought some from my Mother's garden about 25 years
ago. She warned me it would seed around and it does. It now grows in
my next door neighbour's front garden also!
In my back garden I have a white one with white and green flowers
which I certainly never planted!

Pam in Bristol

Old 24-06-2013, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for those kind words David. My wife and I really took to this lonely
plant which was so outstanding on a rather dreary public car park and the
odd thing is that it is the first time that I have seen it during my very
long life. I have twenty of its seeds on order now from E-Bay (£1.20) so I
look forward to its development.

Old 24-06-2013, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
[...]

Many thanks everyone. I now have some of its seed on order and look forward
to having its very pleasing display.

Old 25-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrys Davies View Post
"Many thanks everyone. I now have some of its seed on order and look forward
to having its very pleasing display.
It was a common weed one place I lived. The idea of buying it...
Old 25-06-2013, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-24 23:37:40 +0100, Emrys Davies said:

"David Hill" wrote in message
snip
Sorry, I meant to send this one, but things went wrong
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur..._wmhf8DvdsM%3A

OK, sorry again, but its number two on top line.

Well done Emrys,
It's lovely to have someone look for themselves and not just post a
vague description and then sit back waiting for everyone else to do the
work.

Thanks for those kind words David. My wife and I really took to this
lonely plant which was so outstanding on a rather dreary public car
park and the odd thing is that it is the first time that I have seen it
during my very long life. I have twenty of its seeds on order now from
E-Bay (£1.20) so I look forward to its development.

There are some lovely blue forms and also a creamy white one, just in
case you feel like making a collection!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-06-2013, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/06/2013 23:12, Pam Moore wrote:
[...]

Probably Corydalis ochroleuca. I grew it for a few years. It's not as
invasive as C. lutea, and its flowers are such an unusual colour
combination they are quite attractive.

--

Jeff