Old 25-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Registered User

Default Plant ID please

Got some seeds from holiday in Madeira. Picked up a few along my travels from the ground, etc. The photos attached are of a climber. Can anybody identify it please? Previous posting some weeks ago of younger plant had no responses.
Attached Thumbnails
Plant ID please-dscf0520.jpg   Plant ID please-dscf0521.jpg
Old 27-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintama View Post
Got some seeds from holiday in Madeira. Picked up a few along my travels from the ground, etc. The photos attached are of a climber. Can anybody identify it please? Previous posting some weeks ago of younger plant had no responses.
OK I have attached a photo of another view of the plant. Would love some ideas. It has taken off this past week. Must have grown about a foot. It is sending out tendrils but no sign of a flower.

Anybody got any ideas what the other seedlings are too? The longest leaf is only about 5 inches long and a couple of the seedlings have a second leaf. Longest leaf is about 4 inches long at present. The seeds were about the size of a 'petit poi' pea and were reddish brown and shiny. These seeds also came from Madeira.
Attached Thumbnails
Plant ID please-dscf0528.jpg   Plant ID please-dscf0532.jpg
Old 27-07-2013, 07:27 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintama View Post
OK I have attached a photo of another view of the plant. Would love some ideas. It has taken off this past week. Must have grown about a foot. It is sending out tendrils but no sign of a flower.

Anybody got any ideas what the other seedlings are too? The longest leaf is only about 5 inches long and a couple of the seedlings have a second leaf. Longest leaf is about 4 inches long at present. The seeds were about the size of a 'petit poi' pea and were reddish brown and shiny. These seeds also came from Madeira.
The classification of plants is based on whether they can have sex which each other - in other words, largely on their floral parts. It really is difficult to identify things from leaves only, unless the leaves are very characteristic. I think you're going to have to wait until these get a little larger.
__________________
Old 27-07-2013, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lintama" wrote in message

Lintama;988301 Wrote:
Got some seeds from holiday in Madeira. Picked up a few along my travels
from the ground, etc. The photos attached are of a climber. Can anybody
identify it please? Previous posting some weeks ago of younger plant
had no responses.

OK I have attached a photo of another view of the plant. Would love some
ideas. It has taken off this past week. Must have grown about a foot. It
is sending out tendrils but no sign of a flower.

Anybody got any ideas what the other seedlings are too? The longest
leaf is only about 5 inches long and a couple of the seedlings have a
second leaf. Longest leaf is about 4 inches long at present. The seeds
were about the size of a 'petit poi' pea and were reddish brown and
shiny. These seeds also came from Madeira.

|Filename: DSCF0532.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15745|
|Filename: DSCF0528.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15744|

I think the one with the compound leaves is Cardiospermum grandiflorum which
you see covering vacant uncultivated areas has papery seed capsules and not
very exciting flowers despite the name!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 28-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Pridham[_2_] View Post
"Lintama" wrote in message

Lintama;988301 Wrote:
Got some seeds from holiday in Madeira. Picked up a few along my travels
from the ground, etc. The photos attached are of a climber. Can anybody
identify it please? Previous posting some weeks ago of younger plant
had no responses.

OK I have attached a photo of another view of the plant. Would love some
ideas. It has taken off this past week. Must have grown about a foot. It
is sending out tendrils but no sign of a flower.

Anybody got any ideas what the other seedlings are too? The longest
leaf is only about 5 inches long and a couple of the seedlings have a
second leaf. Longest leaf is about 4 inches long at present. The seeds
were about the size of a 'petit poi' pea and were reddish brown and
shiny. These seeds also came from Madeira.

|Filename: DSCF0532.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15745|
|Filename: DSCF0528.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15744|

I think the one with the compound leaves is Cardiospermum grandiflorum which
you see covering vacant uncultivated areas has papery seed capsules and not
very exciting flowers despite the name!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs
ROSELAND HOUSE GARDEN & NURSERY
Charlie, I think you got it right. I checked on various websites and the climber seems to be what you said it was. I do remember picking up a papery seed pod while out walking along one of Madeira's levadas. Thank you lots for identifying it. What a pity it's a weed though. I will wait for the flower to appear before deciding what to do with it but it looks like it will be a trip to the compost heap for it.