Old 04-08-2013, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT how much USA peeps are different

On 04/08/2013 09:51, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 04/08/13 08:11, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 13:40:39 +0100, Tom Gardner

On 2013-08-03 10:50:38 +0000, Broadback said:

I have subscribe to "rec.food.cooking", as I think several people
who post here are. It makes you realise what a difference there is
between us and them, foreign in all but language and that differs
more as time passes by. do other here agree, or am I wrong?

A few well-travelled Americans have commented to me that a lot of
their compatriots are very insular in their outlook and really do
not understand others' way of life, choices, or reasons for doing
things different to the USA. Comparatively few Americans have
passports. But when you think of the size of their country, they can
do everything there except enjoy the culture of others. And if
they're not interested in that, why go outside America?

You will occasionally come across TV reports of "foreign
news" - where foreign means out-of-state!

UK TV News isn't a lot better.

Modulo Scottish independence, I disagree.
Here "foreign" means out of the UK.

The quality of the reporting is a different kettle of fish,
as is the (reduced) number of foreign correspondents.

We don't want "Foreign" correspondents, we want British ones stationed
around the world.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
sacha wrote:

Apparently, some current American forms of speech are olde Englishe and
went over with the Pilgrim Fathers!

Olde Englishe was invented by Tea Shoppes!

More seriously, a lot of their usages are merely preservations
of 17th and 18th century English. An educated English speaker
can understand almost all of educated American, but not conversely.
The New York Yiddish dialect is pretty inscrutable, even to most
Americans, and Ebonics is more so.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-03 10:50:38 +0000, Broadback said:

I have subscribe to "rec.food.cooking", as I think several people who post here are. It makes you realise what a difference there is between us and them, foreign in all but language and that differs
more as time passes by. do other here agree, or am I wrong?

A few well-travelled Americans have commented to me that a lot of their compatriots are very insular in their outlook and really do not understand others' way of life, choices, or reasons for doing
things different to the USA. Comparatively few Americans have passports. But when you think of the size of their country, they can do everything there except enjoy the culture of others. And if
they're not interested in that, why go outside America?

You will occasionally come across TV reports of "foreign
news" - where foreign means out-of-state!

UK TV News isn't a lot better.

I recommend also looking at Al Jazeera. Russia Today is pretty
dire, but occasionally contains things about the UK that the people
ruining the country would rather keep quiet (and, yes, I always
cross-check such things).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:

[...]

I do. I also look at the French News channel and Euronews.

They don't get here :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:33 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

The Portuguese know a lot more about what is happening in the UK than we do about what is happening in Portugal. And I don't think it is quite adequate to say "but we're more important than Portugal".
__________________

Old 04-08-2013, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...

Recently RT had a long interview with Alex Salmond in which he
explained that his independent Scotland nuclear weapon policy would
not threaten Russia.

I hope he said who it _would_ threaten.

Not much point in having one if you don't wave it at someone (IYSWIM).

--
Sam

Old 04-08-2013, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

At Shanklin Theatre we have what are called 'Coffee, Cake 'n' Chat' mornings
once a month for people interested in helping in the Theatre to see what
it's all about. Good job the , is between the Coffee and Cake.

Our next one is this coming Saturday :-)

http://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/IsleOfW...s.htm#shanklin

Mike

"Yellow" wrote in message
T...

In article ,
says...

Broadback wrote:

When I was in the RAF we were working hand in glove with some Americans.
One bright spark compile a USA/English dictionary.

My dad told me an airline story: Typically, the crew radios in
maintenance
issues on a company channel while in-flight, so things can be dealt with
quickly. One day, the report was "elevator jammed." Crash crews alerted,
medics on standby, the whole nine yards. They were talking about a small
dumbwaiter between decks (this was a jumbo jet). Thereafter, this device
was referred to as the "lift."

I had a confused conversation once with some Americans on a food group
where they were talking about Coffee Cake but the recipes had everything
in them except coffee.

It transpired that American Coffee Cake is cake eaten while drinking
coffee and was in fact just about any cake you fancied.

I asked, "so what do you call cake made with coffee in it?" to be told
that there is no such thing in the USA.

Somehow I doubt that but anyway, I thought that was an interesting
solution to a problem created solely by language.