Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-08-2013, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Where are the insects?

On 2013-08-07 19:56:06 +0100, David Hill said:

In Sheffield we have had plenty of butterflies. The most for years -
since those series of
very early springs, followed by terrible cold wet weather in March &
April, which seemed
to wipe out most of them, especially small tortoiseshell.

Still none of those but commas, peacocks, whites, coppers... and lots
os bumble bees. In
fact I got stung by one for the very first time ever and BOY did it
hurt. I could not
believe the pain. It came in waves.

Not many moths though.

Kath

That's because Sacha (Queen moth er) has them all.
I should have asked where all the pollinating insects are.
Cutting the grass this afternoon I noticed that something has been
having a good chomp on the Jostaberry leaves, (Never before) also a
pussy willow has been almost stripped by something
David @a warm side of Swansea Bay

Splutter! Absolutely! We've cornered the market in 'good' insects!
Loads of moths flying about tonight while I waited for Oscar Underfoot
to come in. It's very warm and dry and so good to think they're getting
a chance to recover from last year's disastrous season.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com