Old 12-08-2013, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fresh horse sh!t

On 2013-08-12 14:33:27 +0100, Indigo said:

"David Hill" wrote
On 11/08/2013 23:11, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 21:58:53 +0100, "Peter & Jeanne"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message

Processed sewage that was full of heavy metals?

Dunno what it was full of, but plants seemed to thrive on its
application -
(:-)

OK if you don't grow vegetables.

Well it used to be collected from Hong Kong and taken to the New
Territories as Night Soil, used to improve the fertility of the soil
for veg growing, the produce was then sold in Hong Kong and so the
cycle was started again.

They still use human sewage sludge in the UK for agricultural
fertiliser - after it's been through the usual treatment processes. They
call it "biosolids" and try not to use the word sewage too much in
descriptions these days to make it sound more up to the minute and
respectable as a fertiliser. Field grown crops we all eat have often
been grown with the useful aid of human poop, whether we know it or not.
Got to use the stuff somewhere or we'd all be up to our knees in it by
now!

'They' - whoever that may be - pile it up in a field at the top of the
hill leading out of this village. The run-off doesn't reach us but
those living closer to that field tell us it can be pretty whiffy, even
though it's treated stuff!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-08-2013, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message ...

'They' - whoever that may be - pile it up in a field at the top of the hill
leading out of this village. The run-off doesn't reach us but those living
closer to that field tell us it can be pretty whiffy, even though it's
treated stuff!

Yup - of all the varieties of excrement wiffiness - human must be the worst
in my mind.
Pig and cow stuff whiff is positively one of the countryside's joys in
comparison (:-)
Can't beat the joys of whiffing a freshly cow pooh slurried field !!

Pete

Old 12-08-2013, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 17:09:58 +0100, "Peter & Jeanne"
wrote:

Can't beat the joys of whiffing a freshly cow pooh slurried field !!

This is definitely true. Especially on a hot summer's day when the
field is the other side of the garden fence! There is no window, door
or can of air freshener that can keep the smell out of the house.

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 12-08-2013, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
et...

I think pigs' beats it by a mile. There is nothing so sickly and
pervasive :-( (including, human).

Beg to differ Janet -- as one who's current nearest establishment is a pig
farm.
Denton (Mcr) sewage farm on my once time route to/from work
has the sickly excrement prize to my nose.

Pete