Old 18-08-2013, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ultimate lawn owner?

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2013-08-17 16:32:00 +0100, David Rance said:

In message , Sacha
writes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...1/Is-Britains-

immaculate-g
arden-Pensioner-spends-30-HOURS-A-WEEK-tending-lawn-cut-

exactly-5mm.html

Reminds me of the Bullitt-Finches in "Blott on the Landscape" by Tom
Sharpe. You'll have to read the book to find out what happened to them!

We're strange people, we humans. I don't like that garden. It's
over-tweaked, manicured, tidied and perfect to a point that depresses
me. I like gardens to be quite a bit less groomed than that - which is
probably just as well!

Same here. I think that chap would have a heart attack if he were to see
my meadow.

I agree heartily with you both. Gardens like this are fun to look at for
a minute, but there's something about it that reminds me of a cousin who
follows you through the kitchen, wiping after your footsteps with a damp
cloth. Even when your feet are clean and dry; very OCD.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 18-08-2013, 03:40 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery Davis[_3_] View Post

I agree heartily with you both. Gardens like this are fun to look at for
a minute, but there's something about it that reminds me of a cousin who
follows you through the kitchen, wiping after your footsteps with a damp
cloth. Even when your feet are clean and dry; very OCD.
I think I don't like it because it looks sterile - I can't imagine walking around it and stopping to watch the bumblebees, for example.
__________________
Old 18-08-2013, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
My lawn was *mown* by my geese. They kept it quite short, good enough for
me.

What do you do with all the crap they deposit on your lawn?

I just let the rain send it into..

Old 29-08-2013, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 21:14:47 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
My lawn was *mown* by my geese. They kept it quite short, good enough
for
me.

What do you do with all the crap they deposit on your lawn?

I just let the rain send it into..

It doesn't work in other places where there are a lot of geese on
grass.
--

I only had 3. I guess you have to be sensible about the amount of
grass/versus the number of geese.

Old 29-08-2013, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/08/2013 22:28, Martin wrote:

wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
My lawn was *mown* by my geese. They kept it quite short, good enough
for
me.

What do you do with all the crap they deposit on your lawn?

I just let the rain send it into..

It doesn't work in other places where there are a lot of geese on
grass.
--

I only had 3. I guess you have to be sensible about the amount of
grass/versus the number of geese.
It worked well for me, they kept it cropped and fertilised it at the same
time.
Plus I never got trespassers ;-)

Schiphol Airport would be interested in advice on how to discourage
visiting geese. :-)

Because my gander was so good with me, I never thought to warn my builder
who wanted to get some paving slabs from near the lawn.
Suffice to say he was able to leap a gate far higher than he thought he
could.

We had two geese when I was a child. Geese are far better than a guard
dog.

They taste better as well.

Old 30-08-2013, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 08:43:32 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

We had two geese when I was a child. Geese are far better than a

guard
dog.

They taste better as well.

How do you know?

Ever had a "meat" curry or "meat" in black bean sauce?

--
Cheers
Dave.