Old 28-11-2013, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Killing moss and lichen on and between paviours

Can anyone recommend a suitable product to do this, the pavioured area
is quite large.
Old 28-11-2013, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/11/2013 09:36, Broadback wrote:
Can anyone recommend a suitable product to do this, the pavioured area
is quite large.

I can see the point in killing moss and algae because it makes a path
slippy but what do you have against lichens? They do no harm at all.

Don't whatever you do use lawn sand or you will be back here asking how
to remove bad rust stains from stonework.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 28-11-2013, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 09:36:36 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a suitable product to do this, the pavioured area
is quite large.

Any of the commercial products that contain ferrous sulphate.

Thus changing the problem from a soluble one to an insoluble one.
There is no known way of removing rust stains from concrete
without damaging the concrete and with any degree of permanence.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-11-2013, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Can anyone recommend a suitable product to do this, the pavioured area
is quite large.

Any of the commercial products that contain ferrous sulphate.

Effective on lawns, but incredibly damaging to paths unless you are
actually trying for a run down derelict rusting concrete jungle look.

There is almost nothing that will get iron stains off concrete.
(at least not without destroying the concrete as well).

Not tried it but this might do the trick

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Patio-Litres...ller+for+paths

I would be interested in if it works as we have a long north facing path
at the village hall that is permanently damp in winter and grows a
healthy moss, algae and liverwort population that has resisted all
attempts to kill it! It's a slip hazard when wet (ie most of the time)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 28-11-2013, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Can anyone recommend a suitable product to do this, the pavioured area
is quite large.

Common salt will kill moss.

Steve

Old 28-11-2013, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/11/2013 12:07, Chris Hogg wrote:

wrote:

Can anyone recommend a suitable product to do this, the pavioured area
is quite large.

Common salt will kill moss.

Steve

Hmm...Many years ago I scattered some ordinary cooking salt onto the
concrete path around our previous house to melt ice. The concrete in
those areas then degraded quite seriously over the next few years.

Calcium chloride is water soluble and although sodium chloride is more
soluble the net result is to damage the concrete. High density paving
slabs shouldn't suffer too badly but lower grade ones literally fall
apart. There is a village not far away that used the wrong grade on
their pavements and they are crumbing to dust due to salt action.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 28-11-2013, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Can anyone recommend a suitable product to do this, the pavioured area
is quite large.

Any of the commercial products that contain ferrous sulphate.

but not on pavioured areas.

See
http://www.pavingexpert.com/maintain_02.htm

As recommended by Cormaic we use household bleach - the pong does not
hang around for long.
--
rbel
Old 28-11-2013, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Can anyone recommend a suitable product to do this, the pavioured area
is quite large.

Common salt will kill moss.

Steve

Hmm...Many years ago I scattered some ordinary cooking salt onto the
concrete path around our previous house to melt ice. The concrete in
those areas then degraded quite seriously over the next few years.

--

Chris

What does it do to tarmac? We have too much moss on the drive.

Old 28-11-2013, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 19:01:58 -0000, "Tahiri"
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a suitable product to do this, the pavioured area
is quite large.

Common salt will kill moss.

Steve

Hmm...Many years ago I scattered some ordinary cooking salt onto the
concrete path around our previous house to melt ice. The concrete in
those areas then degraded quite seriously over the next few years.

--

Chris

What does it do to tarmac? We have too much moss on the drive.

We use road salt on our tarmac drive on the odd occasion that it is
needed in the winter and it does not seem to have had any ill effects
as yet. To remove moss from it we use bleach, again as recommended by
Cormaic.
--
rbel

Old 29-11-2013, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 09:36:36 +0000, Broadback wrote:

Can anyone recommend a suitable product to do this, the pavioured area
is quite large.

Um, any reason not to just clean it with a Karcher?

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 29-11-2013, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 09:36:36 +0000, Broadback wrote:

Can anyone recommend a suitable product to do this, the pavioured area
is quite large.

I have recently been experimenting with using my old Sheen weed burner. So
far the results on the moss look promising.

Um, any reason not to just clean it with a Karcher?

Has a Karcher become the pressure washer equivalent of a Hoover?

Mike

Old 29-11-2013, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Nov 2013 11:45:37 GMT, Emery Davis
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 09:36:36 +0000, Broadback wrote:

Can anyone recommend a suitable product to do this, the pavioured area
is quite large.

Um, any reason not to just clean it with a Karcher?

I've never heard of a Karcher until now!

I don't think I will be buying one.

Steve

Old 29-11-2013, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 13:12:47 +0000, Muddymike wrote:

On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 09:36:36 +0000, Broadback wrote:

Can anyone recommend a suitable product to do this, the pavioured area
is quite large.

I have recently been experimenting with using my old Sheen weed burner.
So far the results on the moss look promising.

Um, any reason not to just clean it with a Karcher?

Has a Karcher become the pressure washer equivalent of a Hoover?

Heh, in France it certainly is... At least since Sarkozy said he was
going to clean out the tough neighbourhoods with a Karcher. Which didn't
go over very well!

Anyway I still think a pressure washer is the right solution for this
kind of work. I've used it to clean moss and lichen off of stone and
brick walls, very easy.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Is Moss a Lichen RzB Plant Science 6 07-10-2006 10:10 PM
Was: Moss/Lichen on roof, now we are into pollution. Bob Hobden United Kingdom 220 18-01-2004 03:43 PM
Moss/Lichen on roof Bob Hobden United Kingdom 6 15-01-2004 12:47 PM
Moss/Lichen on roof (was:victorian/edwardian houses or new houses?) RichardS United Kingdom 10 15-01-2004 05:43 AM
Moss/Lichen on roof (was:victorian/edwardian houses or new houses?) RichardS United Kingdom 0 09-01-2004 01:12 PM