Old 07-05-2003, 09:08 AM
The Reid

Default Newbie: Just received an allotment garden

Following up to Judy Rigby

Well, according to a spokesman for the Nepalese ambassador, Dr Singha
Bahadur Basnyat, they like to eat both carrots and spinach. Full story
copied from the Telegraph online follows:

I dont think our foxes are Nepalese. Perhaps they are veggies, I did
notice one wearing sandals!

My mammal book says food is:-
mice, rabbit, birds, fruit, beetles, invertibrates.
I suspect part of thier move into urban areas includes adapting to
foraging in dustbins and adopting a human diet, including carrots.
Lets hope they dont get a taste for other veg.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old 07-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Rick McGreal

The Reid wrote in
:

My mammal book says food is:-
mice, rabbit, birds, fruit, beetles, invertibrates.
I suspect part of thier move into urban areas includes adapting to
foraging in dustbins and adopting a human diet, including carrots.
Lets hope they dont get a taste for other veg.

I have seen them merrily chewing through a cabbage leaf....
Erm.....White cabbage rather than green....

But if they can digest cabbage then a sweet juicy carrot would be a
treat....

And anyway...I was told in school that they were onmivores.....And will eat
just about anything they can get their mitts on...

Old 12-05-2003, 02:45 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from M Babcock contains these words:

3. Install newspaper 4-5 inches below top soil level, leaving spaces for
root crop rows (apparently this will help stop any perennial weeds
coming back)

I'm a keen mulcher but have never heard that method and don't think it
will work; newspaper 4" under soil will quickly get wet and weak and
docks and jerusalem artichokes, for example, would just push through
it..as easy as fighting their way out of a wet paper bag :-)

I'd use flattened cardboard boxes, weighted down with planks or
bricks, as a covering on top of the soil until you're ready to plant. It
will kill stop weed seeds germinating, kill some weeds, and make it
easier to fork out the docks and nettles etc.

Janet.