Old 13-01-2014, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A New spade

Well the time has come to pension off my old spade after somewhat over
20 years, The blade is now around 3 inches shorter that it was when new.
So I set off to get a new one, but what and where?
First stop The Range, just one at £8.95 OK till I ran my hand down the
handle and where the blade is held on to the metal handle by 4 pop
rivets I got a sliver of metal; from where they had drilled; in my
finger, the next I tried was also rough.
Next stop B & Q Bulldog at £34.45 heavy, but usable, and a bit pricey,
a lighter one but the blade was welded, a bit cheaper but no bargain,
then there was their own brand with a plastic sort of swan neck
(Ergonomic?) handle, fair but the first I looked at the foam grip was
already split, and it hadn't even left the store.
Next call was Wyevale Garden centre, A much better selection as you
would expect, and cheaper than B & Q.
Some in their sale for £10.00 ;but the grip would need some work with a
knife to remove rough bits on the underside; and a special offer of a
very utility set, spade and fork for just £10.
I settled for a Wilkinson spade for £13.50, no sharp bits, or rough
handles so no chance of cuts or blisters and Wilkinson's guarantee.
Now I just have to grind down the blade a bit to give it some form of
cutting edge, and I'll be ready for the next 20 years, well miracles do
happen, and I'll only be in my 90's.
David @ a yet again wet side of Swansea Bay.
Old 13-01-2014, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

[...]

As a craftsman I love to hear stories of people and their 'tools' and as far
as gardening tools are concerned, our story relates to a wonderful neighbour
we had at our first house back in the 1960's (always got on very well with
all of our neighbours) and when she died, her sister, knowing how well we
got on with her, what we would like of her possessions as a memorabilia. My
wife 'the gardener' chose her many gardening books and her gardening tools.
A border spade and fork, some 50 years later are still in good condition and
in 'daily' use ................................ well 'daily', you know what
I mean.

And what do I remember her by? A ship's bell from the days when her father
was involved with the Cunard Shipping line in Liverpool. Only seen one of
the same ilk, at the Royal Marine Museum at Southsea.

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com
www.rneba.org.uk
www.nsrafa.org

Old 13-01-2014, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/01/2014 16:43, David Hill wrote:
Well the time has come to pension off my old spade after somewhat over
20 years, The blade is now around 3 inches shorter that it was when new.
So I set off to get a new one, but what and where?

(snip)

I settled for a Wilkinson spade for £13.50, no sharp bits, or rough
handles so no chance of cuts or blisters and Wilkinson's guarantee.
Now I just have to grind down the blade a bit to give it some form of
cutting edge, and I'll be ready for the next 20 years, well miracles do
happen, and I'll only be in my 90's.

Did you go for carbon steel or stainless steel?

--

Jeff
Old 13-01-2014, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/01/2014 18:57, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 13/01/2014 16:43, David Hill wrote:
Well the time has come to pension off my old spade after somewhat over
20 years, The blade is now around 3 inches shorter that it was when new.
So I set off to get a new one, but what and where?

(snip)

I settled for a Wilkinson spade for £13.50, no sharp bits, or rough
handles so no chance of cuts or blisters and Wilkinson's guarantee.
Now I just have to grind down the blade a bit to give it some form of
cutting edge, and I'll be ready for the next 20 years, well miracles do
happen, and I'll only be in my 90's.

Did you go for carbon steel or stainless steel?

At that price?
Not stainless.
Dare I say I went for a common or garden spade

new spade for gardening? judith lea United Kingdom 2 29-11-2006 06:54 PM
Fork and Spade order arrived torgo Roses 1 06-05-2003 03:32 PM
tree spade Gena North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:34 PM
Clearance sale at Fork & Spade! Kim Roses 0 23-04-2003 01:32 PM
spear and jackson stainless steel spade jrbuk United Kingdom 11 31-01-2003 10:18 PM