Old 29-01-2014, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default hedge maintenance

In article ,
Peter & Jeanne wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote in message ...

I will chop a foot off the top this winter and be firm-but-fair on the
sides. The triangular cross section makes sense, but is going to look a
little strange here in SE London where all hedges are perfectly vertical
:-)

I do not think that John was suggesting " triangular" in section.
If my geometric memory - the shape being promoted is more rhombic.
ie No pointy bits - lol
Enjoy your chopping in whatever style - the sooner the better whilst in
dormancy - imho.

And, as he said, triangular makes a lot of sense - it is what I
would do, based on previous experience trying to be less drastic
and not succeeding.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-01-2014, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 10:02:55 +0000, stuart noble

wrote:

Anyone got any suggestions?

http://i59.tinypic.com/vdegpw.jpg

The hedge had been allowed to get out of hand for a few years by the
previous owners, so we have reduced height by a foot, and are wondering
whether to thin it out a little in the Spring. Maybe those bare stalks
will sprout leaves if the top is kept trimmed?
Any advice appreciated

Looks like privet, if so best bet is a really hard cut back, trimming the
regrowth into the hedge of the size you want.

You wont be able to kill it!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 30-01-2014, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 stuart noble wrote:

Anyone got any suggestions?

http://i59.tinypic.com/vdegpw.jpg

The hedge had been allowed to get out of hand for a few years by the
previous owners, so we have reduced height by a foot, and are wondering
whether to thin it out a little in the Spring. Maybe those bare stalks
will sprout leaves if the top is kept trimmed?
Any advice appreciated

I have a privet hedge which, over the years, I had allowed to grow to
about nine foot high. Four years ago I decided that I didn't
particularly want the privacy this offered as I have plenty of taller
shrubs behind it so I cut it down to three foot with the intention of
allowing it to grow to about five foot which is much more manageable.

http://rance.org.uk/hedge.jpg

I inherited this hedge about thirty years ago but it was originally
planted back in the 1930s. Some of it loses its leaves in the winter and
some doesn't, which is why it looks a bit thin in places now (I took the
photo this morning) but in the summer it is very thick and neat - and
much easier to trim!

David

Old 30-01-2014, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Anyone got any suggestions?

http://i59.tinypic.com/vdegpw.jpg

The hedge had been allowed to get out of hand for a few years by the
previous owners, so we have reduced height by a foot, and are wondering
whether to thin it out a little in the Spring. Maybe those bare stalks
will sprout leaves if the top is kept trimmed?
Any advice appreciated

You can't post .jpg files to this group, urg is a plain text only group.

He didn't! It's a link as denoted by "http:...." etc.

David

Old 30-01-2014, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Anyone got any suggestions?

http://i59.tinypic.com/vdegpw.jpg

The hedge had been allowed to get out of hand for a few years by the
previous owners, so we have reduced height by a foot, and are wondering
whether to thin it out a little in the Spring. Maybe those bare stalks
will sprout leaves if the top is kept trimmed?
Any advice appreciated

You can't post .jpg files to this group, urg is a plain text only group.

He didn't! It's a link as denoted by "http:...." etc.

[IMG]...[/IMG] is a markup used by some poncy mailer or other to
embed the contents of links in messages; it works for that mailer,
is ignored for others, and causes yet others to get confused.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 30-01-2014, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/01/2014 09:41, David Rance wrote:
[...]

Thanks for going out in this weather to take the photo!
Old 30-01-2014, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/01/2014 09:58, Nick Maclaren wrote:
wrote:

Anyone got any suggestions?

http://i59.tinypic.com/vdegpw.jpg

The hedge had been allowed to get out of hand for a few years by the
previous owners, so we have reduced height by a foot, and are wondering
whether to thin it out a little in the Spring. Maybe those bare stalks
will sprout leaves if the top is kept trimmed?
Any advice appreciated

You can't post .jpg files to this group, urg is a plain text only group.

He didn't! It's a link as denoted by "http:...." etc.

[IMG]...[/IMG] is a markup used by some poncy mailer or other to
embed the contents of links in messages; it works for that mailer,
is ignored for others, and causes yet others to get confused.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Maybe I should have deleted the "[IMG]" bit but, as you say, it is
mostly ignored anyway.
Old 30-01-2014, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Anyone got any suggestions?

http://i59.tinypic.com/vdegpw.jpg

The hedge had been allowed to get out of hand for a few years by the
previous owners, so we have reduced height by a foot, and are wondering
whether to thin it out a little in the Spring. Maybe those bare stalks
will sprout leaves if the top is kept trimmed?
Any advice appreciated

You clearly need one of the trimmers that Harry posted a link to on
uk.d-i-y! For those that haven't seen it, look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/embed/HE0HEtHFemQ

:-)
Old 30-01-2014, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 Martin wrote:

wrote:

Anyone got any suggestions?

http://i59.tinypic.com/vdegpw.jpg

The hedge had been allowed to get out of hand for a few years by the
previous owners, so we have reduced height by a foot, and are wondering
whether to thin it out a little in the Spring. Maybe those bare stalks
will sprout leaves if the top is kept trimmed?
Any advice appreciated

You can't post .jpg files to this group, urg is a plain text only group.

He didn't! It's a link as denoted by "http:...." etc.

This was already discussed.

Well, I never!!

It doesn't show as a link with some readers,
including Agent. http://i59.tinypic.com/vdegpw.jpg does.

Then what did it show as? From what you quoted you could see that it was
a link (see your quote above).

David

Old 30-01-2014, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote in message ...

Then what did it show as? From what you quoted you could see that it was a
link (see your quote above).

David

--

It showed up as an embedded link as Martin could have pointed out and not
grumbling

All it needed was reposting correctly (as I did) and the dreadful hedge was
clear
for all to see in all its un-glory.

Regards
Pete

Old 30-01-2014, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gorgeous birch, David.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 30-01-2014, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/01/2014 12:32, Peter & Jeanne wrote:
It showed up as an embedded link as Martin could have pointed out and
not grumbling
about posting jpg's here.

All it needed was reposting correctly (as I did) and the dreadful hedge
was clear
for all to see in all its un-glory.

Regards
Pete

Out of interest, and while we're on the subject of who sees what, why is
your reply not showing up in my reply unless I copy and paste it?

All it needed was reposting correctly (as I did) and the dreadful hedge
was clear
for all to see in all its un-glory.
And I would add that the dreadful hedge you refer to has been doing its
job since the house was built in the 30s. Cheaper and better looking
than a fence. I'm gonna go and hug that privet next time I'm there :-)

Old 30-01-2014, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-30 13:24:35 +0000, stuart noble said:

On 30/01/2014 12:32, Peter & Jeanne wrote:
It showed up as an embedded link as Martin could have pointed out and
not grumbling
about posting jpg's here.

All it needed was reposting correctly (as I did) and the dreadful hedge
was clear
for all to see in all its un-glory.

Regards
Pete

Out of interest, and while we're on the subject of who sees what, why
is your reply not showing up in my reply unless I copy and paste it?

Same here

All it needed was reposting correctly (as I did) and the dreadful hedge
was clear
for all to see in all its un-glory.
And I would add that the dreadful hedge you refer to has been doing its
job since the house was built in the 30s. Cheaper and better looking
than a fence. I'm gonna go and hug that privet next time I'm there :-)

The hedge just needs a bit of help and it will be fine, just as you hope!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-01-2014, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:

Out of interest, and while we're on the subject of who sees what, why is
your reply not showing up in my reply unless I copy and paste it?

He's using an MS product to do his mail. He assumes that we all see what he
sees.

Microsoft is the Fox News of computing:

http://digitaljournal.com/article/325389

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-01-2014, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 14:38:27 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 13:24:35 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

Out of interest, and while we're on the subject of who sees what, why is
your reply not showing up in my reply unless I copy and paste it?

He's using an MS product to do his mail. He assumes that we all see what he
sees.

Live Mail is the worst newsreader ever written but that's probably
because MS do not anyone reading Usenet as they can't control it.

Steve

--
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural netwrok http://www.easynn.com
SwingNN Prediction software http://www.swingnn.com