Old 09-02-2014, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rooks are preparing

I've just seen one flying into the rookery with a twig in her beak, so
it looks as if they're optimistic, at least!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-02-2014, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-10 09:24:25 +0000, Chris Hogg said:

On Sun, 9 Feb 2014 15:55:42 +0000, sacha wrote:

I've just seen one flying into the rookery with a twig in her beak, so
it looks as if they're optimistic, at least!

You were able to determine its sex as it flew by and from a distance!
Wow, I'm impressed! :-)

Like the Frenchman with the fly! ;-) Actually, someone very
knowledgeable on the birding group told me it's the female who carries
the stick. I'd asked about it because usually, there are two birds
together, one carries a twig and the other doesn't. When I enquired
about this strange behaviour, I was told that the twigless bird was the
male making sure no other male absconded with his mate! So he
accompanies her on her shopping for building material. It seems an
awful waste of potential labour to me but that's men for you! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-02-2014, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Sun, 9 Feb 2014 15:55:42 +0000, sacha wrote:

I've just seen one flying into the rookery with a twig in her beak, so
it looks as if they're optimistic, at least!

Jackdaws are building rafts in this in part of the world.

No signs of anything like that here, but we are colder and drier
than most of the UK.

I await the first posting from someone asking how to get rid of
pondweed from their lawn.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 09:45:33 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

snip
about this strange behaviour, I was told that the twigless bird was the
male making sure no other male absconded with his mate! So he
accompanies her on her shopping for building material. It seems an
awful waste of potential labour to me but that's men for you! ;-)

I accompany my wife when shopping for the same reason. Mind you she's 65
years old but you can't be too careful.
R.

---

Old 10-02-2014, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-10 09:24:25 +0000, Chris Hogg said:

On Sun, 9 Feb 2014 15:55:42 +0000, sacha wrote:

I've just seen one flying into the rookery with a twig in her beak, so
it looks as if they're optimistic, at least!

You were able to determine its sex as it flew by and from a distance!
Wow, I'm impressed! :-)

Like the Frenchman with the fly! ;-) Actually, someone very
knowledgeable on the birding group told me it's the female who carries
the stick. I'd asked about it because usually, there are two birds
together, one carries a twig and the other doesn't. When I enquired
about this strange behaviour, I was told that the twigless bird was the
male making sure no other male absconded with his mate! So he
accompanies her on her shopping for building material. It seems an
awful waste of potential labour to me but that's men for you! ;-)

Even more impressed, this time genuinely! :-)

Not with me, though! I'm just going by what I was told by someone who
does know their stuff! Rooks are said to be intelligent birds and
they're very sociable with each other, congregating in great masses. I
think some of ours might have set up another rookery because some of
the macrocarpa in the churchyard next door were cut down and they used
to nest in those, too. They seem pretty hungry at the moment and when I
throw peanuts onto the ground they're gobbling them up in a flash.
Poor old Phergus the Pheasant (Mk4) doesn't get a look in!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-02-2014, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/02/2014 15:55, sacha wrote:

I've just seen one flying into the rookery with a twig in her beak, so
it looks as if they're optimistic, at least!

I have one daffodil now showing yellow and a poppy plant with two fully
developed flower heads for the new "summer" season. There was a weak
ground frost this morning but still no air frost. It is presently sunny
with blue skies in North Yorkshire and waterlogged fields everywhere.

A couple more warm days like today and they will be out. Snowdrops,
winter jasmine and hamamelis and the first crocus already are out.

Unforced rhubarb will be good to eat next week if it doesn't get frosted
first.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown