Old 13-02-2014, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Anyone had a big tree cut down?

On 12/02/2014 18:38, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

We have a large sycamore tree that has to come down as its endangering
the
roadside dry stone wall. Its a big bugger with four 2ft plus dia trunks
three times the height of the house, and of course only three feet from
busy road!

I'm waiting with anticipation for the first quote to come through. Any
thoughts on a ballpark figure? I'm struggling to find anyone else
interested
in taking on the job so my usual three quote rule for a big job may have
me bypassed!

15+ years ago I paid £300 to have a huge beech taken down (trunk
diameter 3 ft ) most of which which overhung the cottage. It took a
couple of days and involved a lot of high work/ skilful roping to
control the drops of high branches. The job was done by professional
insured forestry workers and included grinding the stump and chipping
the brash (the big stuff we saved for the woodstove).

10 years ago I paid another £300 to have a different professional
insured forester working alone take down and remove all debris from nine
cupressus all taller than this house, each of which was almost 2ft
diameter at the base.

Our tree fellers all worked for the Forestry Commission; if you have
any local FC it might be worth asking the management office.

Janet.

What about Shaun, Paddy and Mick?
they're "tree fellers".

No good. They wanted to charge Dirty tree and a turd % extra...

Mike

Old 13-02-2014, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-12 11:32:28 +0000, Muddymike said:

We have a large sycamore tree that has to come down as its endangering
the roadside dry stone wall. Its a big bugger with four 2ft plus dia
trunks three times the height of the house, and of course only three
feet from a busy road!

I'm waiting with anticipation for the first quote to come through. Any
thoughts on a ballpark figure? I'm struggling to find anyone else
interested in taking on the job so my usual three quote rule for a big
job may have to me bypassed!

Mike

A tree on our property started to lean and took out some of the wall
surrounding the whole garden. Insurance paid for its removal and the
repair to the wall. If your tree is exhibiting such wanton behaviour,
you may well be covered by your insurance.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

I had a tree cut down... Jimmy Lawns 5 15-11-2008 04:21 PM
should I cut my banana tree down? [email protected] Gardening 5 22-03-2007 06:08 PM
Cut down a tree or remove a section instead? [email protected] Gardening 2 04-07-2005 09:19 PM
WHEN TO CUT DOWN TREES montagg sci.agriculture 21 03-03-2003 02:52 AM
using an angle-grinder to cut down live Leylandii dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 48 20-12-2002 12:11 AM