Old 27-02-2014, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Acer Woes

I ahve a Japanese maple (Acer Palmatum of some sort - I
think!), about 20 years old, 2' 6" high and about 7' across in
one direction, and cut bak to about 4' in the other.

I fell backwards of a step and crash landed on it! It certainly
saved me from potentially serious injury, hitting head on wall
or falling backwards over it, BUT it has suffered somewhat in
the 3 of its 6 main branches have been sheared off at the
trunk. It needed a bit of pruning , but not this severe, and
not from this side!

Should I just leave it alone this year and see what happens, or
can I continue my planned pruning?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 27-02-2014, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/02/2014 17:37, Roger Tonkin wrote:

I ahve a Japanese maple (Acer Palmatum of some sort - I
think!), about 20 years old, 2' 6" high and about 7' across in
one direction, and cut bak to about 4' in the other.

I fell backwards of a step and crash landed on it! It certainly
saved me from potentially serious injury, hitting head on wall
or falling backwards over it, BUT it has suffered somewhat in
the 3 of its 6 main branches have been sheared off at the
trunk. It needed a bit of pruning , but not this severe, and
not from this side!

Should I just leave it alone this year and see what happens, or
can I continue my planned pruning?

I'd be inclined to take out any crossing branches but otherwise leave it
to get on with it. They come from mountainous areas where they can get
chunks snapped off in storms so should recover although it will never
quite look as manicured as it once did.

I had a fence panel in a storm take out a newly established pear tree
once. It took it about five years to recover from being mostly snapped
off at about 3' from the ground.

Healthy established trees have quite amazing powers of regeneration. My
acers are in very large pots and do blow over in winter. Sometimes
breaking the pots but not doing the trees much harm at all.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 28-02-2014, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 17:37:46 -0000, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

I ahve a Japanese maple (Acer Palmatum of some sort - I
think!), about 20 years old, 2' 6" high and about 7' across in
one direction, and cut bak to about 4' in the other.

I fell backwards of a step and crash landed on it! It certainly
saved me from potentially serious injury, hitting head on wall
or falling backwards over it, BUT it has suffered somewhat in
the 3 of its 6 main branches have been sheared off at the
trunk. It needed a bit of pruning , but not this severe, and
not from this side!

Should I just leave it alone this year and see what happens, or
can I continue my planned pruning?

Acers are good at re-sprouting. You may find new shoots coming where
the branches sheared off. Just tidy up the wounds and cross your
fingers.
Can you post us a photo?

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-03-2014, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 12:49:39 +0000, Roger Tonkin wrote:

[]
Should I just leave it alone this year and see what happens, or can I
continue my planned pruning?

Here is a link to some photo's taken this morning. As you can see, 2 of
the bigest wounds are now bleeding (sap?) which is running down the
trunk.

Sory I did not put in anything for the scale, but height is about 2' 6"

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/2460189141

Glad you didn't hurt yourself. I had a similar where a young lad
clearing ivy fell off the ladder and broke branches from a Acer palmatum
var linearlobum (yours is var dissectum), he was afraid to mention it and
hoped I wouldn't notice! I did of course but was so relieved he was OK I
couldn't be cross.

You need to leave it for this year. It will lose a lot of strength from
the bleeding (sap indeed) and probably try to put out more canopy to
compensate for the loss of the branches. If you get one that's central
enough (or if you like the "crooked look" these plants sometimes get) you
can tie a whip vertically to regain the height that it lost.

The main risk is that it will be weakened and prone to vert. wilt or
other issues, but as Martin and Pam said there's every reason to think it
will be fine.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Webb Starting woes Bevilready Lawns 3 01-04-2009 09:40 AM
Wildflower woes. Whit Texas 9 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 3 24-02-2003 11:10 PM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 2 24-02-2003 10:29 PM
Algae woes Stuart Mueller Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 09-02-2003 01:53 PM