Old 04-03-2014, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden Design Software?

I had a quick search through the NG and this was last touched in in August.

I have found the Marshalls site.

I Googled the BBC site, but it says:

"The garden design section of the BBC Gardening website has not been
updated for some time, and has now been removed."

Whatever happened to the wonderful gardening resources of the BBC?

So - does anyone have a favourite garden design program?

It will be more of a courtyard than a garden.

South facing.

The space will be roughly 8.8M wide and 11M long and will NOT have any
grass.

The main requirement is a pond, plus outdoor seating areas including a
fire pit.

Wisteria up against the deck/veranda, a couple of grape vines, raised beds
for veggies and flowers.

Low maintenance.

So we need a bit of help visualising and checking what we can fit in.

Cheers

Dave R
Old 04-03-2014, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

So - does anyone have a favourite garden design program?

Was it as long a go as that? Time fly's. I was also after some
software, back in the early days of computers, there were plenty, now
very few, and very complicated, I ended up with large jotter pad, and
made it up as I went along, refining, and changing.

Did a list of what I wanted, put it in order of importance and read
all the books I could get my hands on.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/03/2014 21:17, Derek wrote:

So - does anyone have a favourite garden design program?

Was it as long a go as that? Time fly's. I was also after some
software, back in the early days of computers, there were plenty, now
very few, and very complicated, I ended up with large jotter pad, and
made it up as I went along, refining, and changing.

Did a list of what I wanted, put it in order of importance and read
all the books I could get my hands on.

Google Sketchup is free, but quite a learning curve. I gave up
Old 05-03-2014, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

stuart noble wrote:

David W Roberts wrote:

does anyone have a favourite garden design program?

Google Sketchup is free, but quite a learning curve. I gave up

That's odd, I found sketchup to be quite intuitive, in fact I gave up
with every other CAD type software over the decades, it might not be
best suited for gardens though, it seems to work best in terms of cubes
and straight lines, not curves ...

Old 05-03-2014, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/03/2014 09:14, Andy Burns wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

David W Roberts wrote:

does anyone have a favourite garden design program?

Google Sketchup is free, but quite a learning curve. I gave up

That's odd, I found sketchup to be quite intuitive, in fact I gave up
with every other CAD type software over the decades, it might not be
best suited for gardens though, it seems to work best in terms of cubes
and straight lines, not curves ...

The online image libraries for things like trees and gates are useful. I
guess I didn't really need to master it, so I didn't :-)