Old 15-03-2014, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Slightly OT - odd potato reaction

Over the years, I have noticed that when I am peeling potatoes, I get a
little breathless and start coughing. When buying my seed potatoes last
month, I started gasping and coughing as soon as I entered the seed
potato display area.

Has anyone else noticed this? I am able to eat potatoes without
trouble, but get this reaction from them in their raw state. Do they
give off a form of gas similar to ethylene?

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 15-03-2014, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 13:13:19 +0000, Spider wrote:

Over the years, I have noticed that when I am peeling potatoes, I get a
little breathless and start coughing. When buying my seed potatoes last
month, I started gasping and coughing as soon as I entered the seed
potato display area.

Has anyone else noticed this? I am able to eat potatoes without
trouble, but get this reaction from them in their raw state. Do they
give off a form of gas similar to ethylene?

Yes, the coughing when peeling affects me but not seriously and I have
not noticed the other reaction.
Try peeling potqtoes under water or wear a mouth and nose mask if it
is bad.

Pam in Bristol
Old 15-03-2014, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 15:41:08 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 15:32:23 +0000, Pam Moore
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 13:13:19 +0000, Spider wrote:

Over the years, I have noticed that when I am peeling potatoes, I get a
little breathless and start coughing. When buying my seed potatoes last
month, I started gasping and coughing as soon as I entered the seed
potato display area.

Has anyone else noticed this? I am able to eat potatoes without
trouble, but get this reaction from them in their raw state. Do they
give off a form of gas similar to ethylene?

Yes, the coughing when peeling affects me but not seriously and I have
not noticed the other reaction.
Try peeling potqtoes under water or wear a mouth and nose mask if it
is bad.

And a snorkel?

When buying seed potatoes?
--

Martin in Zuid Holland
===================================

Or chips from the chippy ?

Mike on the very sunny Isle of Wight

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com
www.rneba.org.uk
www.nsrafa.org

Old 15-03-2014, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 13:13:19 +0000, Spider wrote:

Over the years, I have noticed that when I am peeling potatoes, I get a
little breathless and start coughing. When buying my seed potatoes last
month, I started gasping and coughing as soon as I entered the seed
potato display area.

Has anyone else noticed this? I am able to eat potatoes without
trouble, but get this reaction from them in their raw state. Do they
give off a form of gas similar to ethylene?

Yes, the coughing when peeling affects me but not seriously and I have
not noticed the other reaction.
Try peeling potqtoes under water or wear a mouth and nose mask if it
is bad.

And a snorkel?

When buying seed potatoes?

When peeling them under water!

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales
=====================================

I didn't know you had to peel seed potatoes!!

Mike on the sunny Isle of Wight

Old 15-03-2014, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/03/2014 15:32, Pam Moore wrote:
On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 13:13:19 +0000, Spider wrote:

Over the years, I have noticed that when I am peeling potatoes, I get a
little breathless and start coughing. When buying my seed potatoes last
month, I started gasping and coughing as soon as I entered the seed
potato display area.

Has anyone else noticed this? I am able to eat potatoes without
trouble, but get this reaction from them in their raw state. Do they
give off a form of gas similar to ethylene?

Yes, the coughing when peeling affects me but not seriously and I have
not noticed the other reaction.
Try peeling potqtoes under water or wear a mouth and nose mask if it
is bad.

Pam in Bristol

I'm glad it's not just me! I certainly could try peeling under water,
so thanks for that idea. A mask I don't fancy, but I'll reserve it for
emergencies.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 15-03-2014, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 13:13:19 +0000, Spider wrote:

Over the years, I have noticed that when I am peeling potatoes, I get a
little breathless and start coughing. When buying my seed potatoes last
month, I started gasping and coughing as soon as I entered the seed
potato display area.

Has anyone else noticed this? I am able to eat potatoes without
trouble, but get this reaction from them in their raw state. Do they
give off a form of gas similar to ethylene?

Yes, the coughing when peeling affects me but not seriously and I have
not noticed the other reaction.
Try peeling potqtoes under water or wear a mouth and nose mask if it
is bad.

And a snorkel?

Now you're just being silly! But it made me laugh :~))

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 15-03-2014, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 13:13:19 +0000, Spider wrote:

Over the years, I have noticed that when I am peeling potatoes, I get a
little breathless and start coughing. When buying my seed potatoes last
month, I started gasping and coughing as soon as I entered the seed
potato display area.

Has anyone else noticed this? I am able to eat potatoes without
trouble, but get this reaction from them in their raw state. Do they
give off a form of gas similar to ethylene?

Yes, the coughing when peeling affects me but not seriously and I have
not noticed the other reaction.
Try peeling potqtoes under water or wear a mouth and nose mask if it
is bad.

And a snorkel?

When buying seed potatoes?

Splutter!! :~)) I'd look a right chump, wouldn't I? (That was a
rhetorical question, btw).

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 15-03-2014, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 13:13:19 +0000, Spider wrote:

Over the years, I have noticed that when I am peeling potatoes, I get a
little breathless and start coughing. When buying my seed potatoes last
month, I started gasping and coughing as soon as I entered the seed
potato display area.

Has anyone else noticed this? I am able to eat potatoes without
trouble, but get this reaction from them in their raw state. Do they
give off a form of gas similar to ethylene?

Yes, the coughing when peeling affects me but not seriously and I have
not noticed the other reaction.
Try peeling potqtoes under water or wear a mouth and nose mask if it
is bad.

And a snorkel?

When buying seed potatoes?

When peeling them under water!

When, just to be clear about it, only the *potato* is under water.
Ergo, I shall need neither snorkel or aqualung ;~).

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 15-03-2014, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

There goes the picture of the face mask, snorkel and wet t shirt
Old 15-03-2014, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

In ya dreams! All my wet t shirts go on the line to dry. Boring, eh!

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Question: photosynthesis light reactions: antenna and reaction center pigments frankgrimes12 Plant Science 1 29-01-2004 09:15 PM
Reaction from a Thorn Cdonahey41 Roses 6 14-08-2003 04:42 PM
chlorophylls and reaction centers... Yaloner Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:24 PM
chlorophylls and reaction centers... Yaloner Plant Biology 0 05-04-2003 03:32 PM
OT, slightly odd but very genuine plea for help Paul Meech United Kingdom 6 30-11-2002 08:48 PM