Old 22-03-2014, 09:28 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Simply making taps impossible to steal

On 21/03/2014 23:57, P Bentley wrote:
"MattyF" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 10:17:39 +0000, Muddymike wrote:

Go plastic, loads of options.

Plastic taps are bound to deteriorate in the sun.
And inside the house, I've had a lady visitor who couldn't remember which
way to turn a tap off, so she wound it the wrong way until the plastic
tap broke, causing a fountain in my bathroom.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to all. As far as making some more metal taps difficult to steal ,
they are simply screwed on at the end of a vertical pipe. So there is
nothing to attach any antitheft device to, as has been suggested.

So if buying some more metal taps, which is seen as the preference over
plastic; there still remains a as yet unsolved problem as how to make them
'theft-proof'. Life's not easy........

Why not solder them to the pipe?
Or use permanent thread lock.

Old 22-03-2014, 11:58 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"MattyF" wrote in message
[...]

The alternative is to use cast iron or steel fittings, instead of brass,
which would be less attractive. I can't find any ready made steel
bibcock taps, but you could achieve a similar result with a lever or T
handle ball valve and an elbow that has a male BSP thread to suit your
hose fittings. To meet water regulations, if it is a mains water supply,
you would also need to fit a double check valve, but that could be in
the vertical pipe.

Colin Bignell
Old 24-03-2014, 10:18 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 20/03/2014 22:44, MattyF wrote:
On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 10:17:39 +0000, Muddymike wrote:

Go plastic, loads of options.

Plastic taps are bound to deteriorate in the sun.
And inside the house, I've had a lady visitor who couldn't remember which
way to turn a tap off, so she wound it the wrong way until the plastic
tap broke, causing a fountain in my bathroom.

Last week I went to fill a watering can from my big butt. [insert
compulsory Fnaaarr!]

It was completely full. I was surprised by how much pressure a big full
butt can contain when the tap sheared off. It was almost like being hit
with a water cannon.

Area around butt now well watered.

--
regards Andy