Old 19-03-2014, 03:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Simply making taps impossible to steal

Some Lowlife has stolen all the metal taps from our Allotment. Are there any
plastic taps to replace tham that anyone would recommend?

Presumably metal taps are still the most durable, but is there any way to
simply make them difficult to steal ? There are some metal covers we can
buy, but they are expensive and need locking up with a padlock every time;
which is a chore.

Old 19-03-2014, 03:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 19/03/2014 15:04, P Bentley wrote:
Some Lowlife has stolen all the metal taps from our Allotment. Are there any
plastic taps to replace tham that anyone would recommend?

Presumably metal taps are still the most durable, but is there any way to
simply make them difficult to steal ? There are some metal covers we can
buy, but they are expensive and need locking up with a padlock every time;
which is a chore.

You could try fastening them to the support with one way screws, which
do up as normal, but are a right pig to undo, and put a shroud round the
tap, so you can't easily get at the fixings, leaving just enough room to
get a hose on. You could also have a look at the new design used by the
Canal and River Trust at their water points. They do rely on a padlock
for security, though.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old 19-03-2014, 04:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 19/03/2014 15:53, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 19 Mar 2014 15:42:26 +0000, John Williamson wrote:

On 19/03/2014 15:04, P Bentley wrote:
Some Lowlife has stolen all the metal taps from our Allotment. Are
there any plastic taps to replace tham that anyone would recommend?

Presumably metal taps are still the most durable, but is there any way
to simply make them difficult to steal ? There are some metal covers
we can buy, but they are expensive and need locking up with a padlock
every time;
which is a chore.

You could try fastening them to the support with one way screws, which
do up as normal, but are a right pig to undo

Or weld the screws to the body after tightening.

That'd do the job. Use nuts and bolts and a steel backing plate, though,
not screws.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old 19-03-2014, 04:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 19/03/2014 16:00, John Williamson wrote:
On 19/03/2014 15:53, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 19 Mar 2014 15:42:26 +0000, John Williamson wrote:

On 19/03/2014 15:04, P Bentley wrote:
Some Lowlife has stolen all the metal taps from our Allotment. Are
there any plastic taps to replace tham that anyone would recommend?

Presumably metal taps are still the most durable, but is there any way
to simply make them difficult to steal ? There are some metal covers
we can buy, but they are expensive and need locking up with a padlock
every time;
which is a chore.

You could try fastening them to the support with one way screws, which
do up as normal, but are a right pig to undo

Or weld the screws to the body after tightening.

That'd do the job. Use nuts and bolts and a steel backing plate, though,
not screws.

Doesn't it tend to be a backing plate that screws to the wall and then
the tap just screws into that with a bit of PTFE tape? If so then easy
to remove the tape even if the backing plate is heavily welded.
Old 19-03-2014, 05:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"Andrew May" wrote

John Williamson wrote:
Jethro_uk wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

P Bentley wrote:
[...]

Lucky to have taps we don't.
Anyway, I have no doubt they were after the metal so you can do nothing to
stop them getting the taps, they will just use a big hammer and smash them
off. Get some cheap non brass taps.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 19-03-2014, 06:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 19/03/2014 15:04, P Bentley wrote:
Some Lowlife has stolen all the metal taps from our Allotment. Are there any
plastic taps to replace tham that anyone would recommend?

Not specifically, but this make is usually reliable:

http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/en/plum...tap-1-2-296581

Presumably metal taps are still the most durable, but is there any way to
simply make them difficult to steal ? There are some metal covers we can
buy, but they are expensive and need locking up with a padlock every time;
which is a chore.

Besides which, they would probably steal the cover for its scrap value as well.

Colin Bignell

Old 20-03-2014, 09:50 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 19 Mar 2014 17:14:44 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Wed, 19 Mar 2014 16:00:50 +0000, John Williamson
wrote:

Tciao for Now!

No T in Ciao

No: but there is in "****" and also in "Martin"

Old 20-03-2014, 10:17 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Some Lowlife has stolen all the metal taps from our Allotment. Are there any
plastic taps to replace tham that anyone would recommend?

Presumably metal taps are still the most durable, but is there any way to
simply make them difficult to steal ? There are some metal covers we can
buy, but they are expensive and need locking up with a padlock every time;
which is a chore.

Go plastic, loads of options.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/36065...ff14=95&ff19=0

Mike

Old 20-03-2014, 11:07 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Muddymike wrote:
Some Lowlife has stolen all the metal taps from our Allotment. Are there any
plastic taps to replace tham that anyone would recommend?

Presumably metal taps are still the most durable, but is there any way to
simply make them difficult to steal ? There are some metal covers we can
buy, but they are expensive and need locking up with a padlock every time;
which is a chore.

Go plastic, loads of options.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/36065...ff14=95&ff19=0

Are they frost-proof?

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Old 20-03-2014, 12:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 20/03/2014 11:07, Mike Barnes wrote:
Muddymike wrote:
Some Lowlife has stolen all the metal taps from our Allotment. Are
there any
plastic taps to replace tham that anyone would recommend?

Presumably metal taps are still the most durable, but is there any
way to
simply make them difficult to steal ? There are some metal covers we
can
buy, but they are expensive and need locking up with a padlock every
time;
which is a chore.

Go plastic, loads of options.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/36065...ff14=95&ff19=0

Are they frost-proof?

Plastic pipe tends to be more frost proof than copper, I expect the taps
not to be much better as they are a harder plastic.
Old 20-03-2014, 01:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
GB GB is offline

On 20/03/2014 12:52, dennis@home wrote:

Go plastic, loads of options.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/36065...ff14=95&ff19=0

Are they frost-proof?

Plastic pipe tends to be more frost proof than copper, I expect the taps
not to be much better as they are a harder plastic.

Those particular taps don't look at all robust.

Old 20-03-2014, 10:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 10:17:39 +0000, Muddymike wrote:

Go plastic, loads of options.

Plastic taps are bound to deteriorate in the sun.
And inside the house, I've had a lady visitor who couldn't remember which
way to turn a tap off, so she wound it the wrong way until the plastic
tap broke, causing a fountain in my bathroom.
Old 21-03-2014, 11:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"MattyF" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 10:17:39 +0000, Muddymike wrote:

Go plastic, loads of options.

Plastic taps are bound to deteriorate in the sun.
And inside the house, I've had a lady visitor who couldn't remember which
way to turn a tap off, so she wound it the wrong way until the plastic
tap broke, causing a fountain in my bathroom.

Thanks to all. As far as making some more metal taps difficult to steal ,
they are simply screwed on at the end of a vertical pipe. So there is
nothing to attach any antitheft device to, as has been suggested.

So if buying some more metal taps, which is seen as the preference over
plastic; there still remains a as yet unsolved problem as how to make them
'theft-proof'. Life's not easy........