Old 21-03-2014, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Holes in leaves on Lemon Tree

Hello All

I met a friend at a meeting last night and she brought along a couple of
leaves from her small lemon tree. They had some holes in them in the central
part of the leaf. Has any one any idea what eats holes in the middle of lemon
leaves ?

Round the edge vine weavils, or leaf cutting beas might be a possibility, but
I have seen those in the middle.

Best Wishes

John

--
John Rye
Hadleigh IPSWICH England
Old 21-03-2014, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Rye" wrote in message ...

Hello All

I met a friend at a meeting last night and she brought along a couple of
leaves from her small lemon tree. They had some holes in them in the
central
part of the leaf. Has any one any idea what eats holes in the middle of
lemon
leaves ?

Round the edge vine weavils, or leaf cutting beas might be a possibility,
but
I have seen those in the middle.

Sounds like Winter Moth Caterpillar, usually they give themselves away by
sticking two leaves together to cover themselves whilst they do their dirty
deed.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 21-03-2014, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

Sounds like Winter Moth Caterpillar, usually they give themselves away by
sticking two leaves together to cover themselves whilst they do their dirty
deed.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Possibly - but I have holes in some overwintering conservatory stuff that
looks most unlike any caterpillar
attack.
Another culprit suggestion perhaps !!

Pete

Old 22-03-2014, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 15:10:43 +0000, John Rye wrote:

Hello All

I met a friend at a meeting last night and she brought along a couple of
leaves from her small lemon tree. They had some holes in them in the
central part of the leaf. Has any one any idea what eats holes in the
middle of lemon leaves ?

Round the edge vine weavils, or leaf cutting beas might be a
possibility, but I have seen those in the middle.

Best Wishes

John

Where did the tree over winter?

Ours were under shelter but outside and they are covered with this Winter
Moth Caterpillar.

Holes all over the place, depending on where they folded the leaf.

In some cases two leaves are joined underside/top so there are munchings
in the middle.

Smaller leaves get folded in half, larger leaves get one edge folded.

Cheers

Dave R