Old 26-03-2014, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Akebia quinata alba

On 2014-03-25 18:21:08 +0000, Spider said:

On 25/03/2014 11:19, Sacha wrote:
I've just popped out to the Nursery and this climber is growing on
pillars along the path. The scent is astonishing! It always amazes
and
delights me that such wonderful smells come from such little flowers!

I have often admired this climber, but have read conflicting advice
that it is "tender, requiring shelter" and "hardy, H7. Surely, they
can't both be right? Has yours ever seen a really hard winter, Sacha?

Indeed, has anyone on urg grown it in harsh conditions?

It's been on the chains and pillars outside the Tea Room through a
couple of tough winters here, Spider, including the toughest in - was it
2010 - when we had ice and snow for days on end, most unusual here. It's
probably a bit sheltered by that position but during that harsh winter
it was surrounded by snow and ice. It's very vigorous, too.

Thanks, Sacha. Sounds lovely :~). I may have a panel of trellis that
would suit it very well. It will get good light and lots of afternoon
sun there.

Just been past it again and the scent has even permeated the first
couple of feet into the big greenhouse!

Now you're making me jealous! Gardeners are supposed to have green
fingers, not green eyes! I shall have to see if my local gc has one.

The scent of the alba is quite different, and very strong, ime.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-03-2014, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-25 18:21:08 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

I hope, then, that I can find a gc with both colour forms, so probably
not my local one. Must remember to take my nose with me, which doesn't
always work :~(. I'd like to sample the scent before I buy, if poss.
Am I to assume, because of the common name Chocolate Vine, that the
scent is chocolatey?

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 27-03-2014, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-25 18:21:08 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

Ours may still be flowering when you come because it does go on for a
long time and Ray would probably find you a 'baby', if he has any
spares. I find the chocolate coloured one quite chocolatey but not
madly so, not as much as the chocolate Cosmos, for example.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-03-2014, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-25 18:21:08 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

Oooh, I hope yours will be flowering. It would be lovely to sample the
scent you have enthused over. If Ray happens to stumble across a 'baby'
sprig of vine, I would be very happy to give it a home, so thank you for
the thought. If said sprig doesn't materialise, then that's okay too.
I'm sure we'll be staggering home under the weight of some plants from
your tempting emporium. Looking forward to it.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 28-03-2014, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-27 18:03:46 +0000, Spider said:

On 27/03/2014 17:26, sacha wrote:
snip

[...]

I'll ask him about it today when he gets off the potting machine!!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-03-2014, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/03/2014 09:29, Sacha wrote:
On 2014-03-27 18:03:46 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

Thank you, Sacha. Do pass on my best wishes to Ray.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 29-03-2014, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-27 18:03:46 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

Will do and he reciprocates. And he's put an Akebia aside for you.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 29-03-2014, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-27 18:03:46 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

Oh, that's lovely and so kind of you both! Do thank him warmly for me;
and thanks to you, too, of course. I'm really grateful.

I saw his letter in The Garden about nurseries. Good stuff. Of course
we must hold on to nurseries. They are one place we gardeners can
really hope to find a few little gems *and* the knowledgeable staff to
offer advice about growing them. Yours is an absolute treasure trove.
Must remember to put my capacious troughs in the car :~)).

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 30-03-2014, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-27 18:03:46 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

We've had a couple of mails about that and must admit we'd both
forgotten all about it by now! Thanks for the kind words! The danger
for small nurseries is the same as that for small food shops. Once the
'big boys' take hold, we'll all end up eating or growing what they
dictate and choice and individuality will be lost. ;-(
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-03-2014, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-27 18:03:46 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

:~)).

We've had a couple of mails about that and must admit we'd both
forgotten all about it by now! Thanks for the kind words! The danger for
small nurseries is the same as that for small food shops. Once the 'big
boys' take hold, we'll all end up eating or growing what they dictate
and choice and individuality will be lost. ;-(

That really would be a shame. Well, I use as many nurseries or
independent garden stores as I can, and I suspect many urglers do, too.
It is up to gardeners to hold on to these special and specialist
nurseries.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 05-04-2014, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 13:08:34 +0100, Spider wrote:

That really would be a shame. Well, I use as many nurseries or
independent garden stores as I can, and I suspect many urglers do, too.

Can be difficult as owners retire or move on.
For years my Mother had enjoyed visiting an independent garden store
near Bude in Cornwall. She no longer drives so on my monthly visits
from Hampshire it is often a welcome opportunity for a day out and to
get some supplies, have a tea and cake etc. A couple of weeks ago I
noticed a couple of chaps wearing the Uniform of one of the big groups
wandering around. Asking at the till if they were on a spying mission
the till operator who was also wearing a uniform jumper replied ",No
we have already taken over, the owners have retired. Today is the day
we start to change till systems over,I'm down from the Midlands to
help. We won't be changing the name and things will carry on as
before. " Meanwhile most of the Cafe staff were obviously being
briefed by a manager. No changes? We shall see. I bet the bird feeders
get the chop, a corporate manager is bound to stop the budget for
filling them.

G.Harman

Old 06-04-2014, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-05 22:01:34 +0000, said:

[...]

A brief Google on Nurseries for sale in Devon shows around half a
dozen, ranging from just over an acre to about 7 acres, both to lease
or freehold. One, near Paignton, has recently refurnished its café and
must have spent a good deal on it.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com