Old 27-03-2014, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What is the growth rate of a mature Yew tree?

I know they are slow growing.
In the garden of the house where I was born there is a yew tree. Big tree,
girth about 8-10ft at chest level. Haven't measured it but would estimate
50-60ft high.
Today I have been given an old photo of the place taken many years ago. I
would be interested to know when the photo might have been taken (some
decades +/- would do).
It appears that the yew has grown taller by about 30ft.
Photo is definitely pre 1952. I live with it yet. Lovely tree but very
messy.
Thanks very much,
Nick.

Old 28-03-2014, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-27 20:09:11 +0000, Nick said:

I know they are slow growing.
In the garden of the house where I was born there is a yew tree. Big
tree, girth about 8-10ft at chest level. Haven't measured it but would
estimate 50-60ft high.
Today I have been given an old photo of the place taken many years ago.
I would be interested to know when the photo might have been taken
(some decades +/- would do).
It appears that the yew has grown taller by about 30ft.
Photo is definitely pre 1952. I live with it yet. Lovely tree but very messy.
Thanks very much,
Nick.

Very messy? I don't see how because they're evergreen and easily
clipped into shape once a year, if necessary. What is more, they'll
sprout new growth from old wood. Perhaps yours has never been clipped
so you mean it's a 'messy' shape? They're not very fast growing but we
have a yew hedge here which was put in about 6 years ago and is now
clipped to stay at about 6' tall, so they're not so slow as to make
them a bad choice. Their eventual height is around 20m, so yours may
have reached its full potential which might help you to establish the
age of the tree and the photo.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-04-2014, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-27 20:09:11 +0000, Nick said:

I know they are slow growing.
[...]

Thanks Sacha,
I love the shape of this tree. AFAIK it has never been clipped. It is
situated about 2m from a wall of the farmhouse. Every now and again I trim
branches which touch the tiled roof.
This tree produces small berries/seeds in abundance. Last weekend I filled a
large wheelie bin (can't remember capacity but it was one of the larger
ones) to capacity. Ruddy heavy to wheel away but the council green waste
blokes emptied it yesterday. This happens 2 or 3 times a year. The
berries/seeds block gutters and also block a small gulley that channels
rainwater into the stream 3m away.
By messy, I mean it creates a great deal of mess. This mess I am still
capable of dealing with.
As title of op, I would like to ascertain the annual growth rate in order to
estimate the age of a photo that is at least 62 years old.
All the best,
Nick.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-27 20:09:11 +0000, Nick said:

I know they are slow growing.
[...]

You might find this of interest
http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/C...ail/story.html
Old 10-04-2014, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message

You might find this of interest
http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/C...ail/story.html

Thanks David,
I wasn't aware of this and will contact them.
The bin I recently filled was 240L/110Kgs. Some of it may be of use to them
in future.
I was very surprised to read that the clippings were previously shredded and
used as mulch.
Thanks again,
Nick.

Huge Yew Tree or Huge Yew Bush? 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 0 27-05-2009 11:28 AM
growth rate for hicks yew ang Gardening 1 30-04-2003 01:32 PM
Hicks Yew Growth rate ang Lawns 0 30-04-2003 12:08 AM
Rate of growth of Young Bur Oaks J Kolenovsky Texas 6 23-04-2003 02:10 PM
Rate of soil growth (deposition) eddy United Kingdom 0 04-03-2003 10:00 PM