Old 06-05-2003, 08:56 AM
foreverArsenal

Default Advice please

Hi
Wonder if anyone can help.

I've grown from seed several varieties of tomatoes and potted on into 3 inch
pots some weeks back,they have been kept in a south facing greenhouse
lean-to in good light ,but bubble wrap
lined front//roof.

I know that the time to pot on to final growing place is when plants are
approx 8/10 inches high and first truss flowers are about to open.

However my plants are now about 14 inches high,no flowers as yet,but do look
healthy with the
stems about 8 mm thick.

My Q is should I carry one with the plants or dump them ?? ,and buy some ??.
I've had to give them support via canes.

The types are //Alicante,Ailsa Graig,Sweet million, F1 Shirley,and Gardeners
Delight.

Any advice on what to do much appreciated.
Many thanks.

--
Barry
If it ain't broke-don't fix it

/\ ~ /}
( ' o' )
( ¥ (,)
¿¿J

Old 06-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , foreverArsenal
writes
Hi
Wonder if anyone can help.

I've grown from seed several varieties of tomatoes and potted on into 3 inch
pots some weeks back,they have been kept in a south facing greenhouse
lean-to in good light ,but bubble wrap
lined front//roof.

I know that the time to pot on to final growing place is when plants are
approx 8/10 inches high and first truss flowers are about to open.

Like most things in gardening this is a general guide, plants can be a
bit reluctant to comply at times....

However my plants are now about 14 inches high,no flowers as yet,but do look
healthy with the
stems about 8 mm thick.

My Q is should I carry one with the plants or dump them ?? ,and buy some ??.
I've had to give them support via canes.

Why dump them , they'll no doubt get around to flowering in their own
good time. TBH we don't really worry about the flowers when potting on,
if the plants needs potting on.

It sounds like they need to move on given the size, I'd pot them on, or
put them where you intend to grow them depending on what else is going
on in the GH.

--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 06-05-2003, 07:44 PM
The Devil's Advocate

I think your plants may need a steadying hand at the back together with a
bit if ingenuity in the middle to compliment the growing tip at the front
lol

foreverArsenal wrote:
: Hi
: Wonder if anyone can help.
:

Old 06-05-2003, 10:20 PM
foreverArsenal

": In message , foreverArsenal
: writes
: Hi
: Wonder if anyone can help.
:
: I've grown from seed several varieties of tomatoes and potted on into 3
inch
: pots some weeks back,:

Hi Chris and Helen

Many thanks for your advice,I will re-pot them into their final resting
place and let them have their
wicked way ;-).

I was just concerned that the first truss had not set and they seemed lanky
despite being
in good light,don't want to miss out on my toms,else no point in buying
cheese :-))

Many thanks
Barry

Old 06-05-2003, 10:20 PM
foreverArsenal

"The Devil's Advocate" wrote in
message ...
: I think your plants may need a steadying hand at the back together with a
: bit if ingenuity in the middle to compliment the growing tip at the front
: lol

Hmmmm :-) Like the man said we'll be back.

--
Barry
If it ain't broke-don't fix it

/\ ~ /}
( ' o' )
( ¥ (,)
¿¿J

Old 06-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from "foreverArsenal" contains these
words:

My Q is should I carry one with the plants or dump them ?? ,and buy some ??.
I've had to give them support via canes.

The types are //Alicante,Ailsa Graig,Sweet million, F1 Shirley,and Gardeners
Delight.

Keep them of course - plenty of time. I don't know Sweet Million, but
the others are crackers. (Try crossing Ailsa Craig with Shirley - makes
a lovely flavoured tomato for next year.)

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi
Old 06-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , foreverArsenal
writes

": In message , foreverArsenal
: writes
: Hi
: Wonder if anyone can help.
:
: I've grown from seed several varieties of tomatoes and potted on into 3
inch
: pots some weeks back,:

Many thanks for your advice,I will re-pot them into their final resting
place and let them have their
wicked way ;-).

I was just concerned that the first truss had not set and they seemed lanky
despite being
in good light,

Reread your OP after checking our toms this afternoon, and noticed you
said 3 inch pots. They certainly do seem to be a bit tall for that size
pot, quite a few of ours are getting on for a foot high maybe, but are
in larger pots - probably 5 inch, not sure.

If they are in 3 inch pots and a bit lanky then it sounds like maybe
they were bit close together.

How wil you grow them on? We grow ours in largish pots, and when they
are potted on we usually pot them up with part of the stem covered with
compost, esp if they are a bit lanky, the toms are quite happy, and soon
root from the stems.