Old 01-04-2014, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Perfect day

What a lovely day today has been! Everyone has had a smile on their
face, enjoying the sunshine and I swear you can almost hear things
growing. Magnolia Butterflies is looking beautiful on the lawn and
Tiarella is pushing through well - this may well be my favourite plant,
though that will change in a few weeks! With the help of the grandson,
I managed to get some gardening done and he built a den with a couple
of Danish trolleys, some pallets and a length of unused Mypex stuff!
Thank heaven for spring!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-04-2014, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/04/2014 17:30, Sacha wrote:
What a lovely day today has been! Everyone has had a smile on their
face, enjoying the sunshine and I swear you can almost hear things
growing. Magnolia Butterflies is looking beautiful on the lawn and
Tiarella is pushing through well - this may well be my favourite plant,
though that will change in a few weeks! With the help of the grandson, I
managed to get some gardening done and he built a den with a couple of
Danish trolleys, some pallets and a length of unused Mypex stuff! Thank
heaven for spring!

I beg to differ.
Had to get the wife to hospital for 9am for Hydro therapy followed by
Warafrin clinic so it was up at some ungodly hour and a journey that
normally takes around 14 mins takes over 30 at that time of day., add
mist to slow traffic more, then shopping.
After that was a trip to Selco to get paving slabs and use their £10 off
voucher which was valid for today only. and then unload all 32 and shift
them around 40 yds.
Not my idea of a lovely day, but at least it didn't rain.
On the brighter side, I noticed that one of the wild cherries is now
starting to flower, and my Josta berry has the first flowers open.
As for the den, you say "thank heaven for spring", I'd have thought it
would be "thank heaven for string".
David @ a rain free side of Swansea Bay.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-01 18:30:42 +0000, David Hill said:

[...]

Well, no string but a bungee cord, I think! So sorry you've had such a
rotten day. Bit of very light rain here tonight - just enough to wet
the slabs but nothing to get excited about.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-04-2014, 10:13 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hogg View Post

While much of the UK has been basking in spring sunshine and high
temperatures over the last week or so, west Cornwall has been overcast
with intermittent heavy showers or drizzle and mist. It was just dry
enough to cut the grass yesterday (Tuesday), but I've been waiting for
over a week to get at it. Looks like another dull damp day today!
Nice to know that we're not the only people to have had a week of cold dampness. OK, not that cold, but cold when the media have been telling you that it will be "warmer than Madrid". I presume what they meant was that London would have sunshine.
__________________
Old 02-04-2014, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/04/2014 10:13, kay wrote:
Nice to know that we're not the only people to have had a week of cold
dampness. OK, not that cold, but cold when the media have been telling
you that it will be "warmer than Madrid". I presume what they meant was
that London would have sunshine.

I've just got back from holiday in Madrid.

It was cold, sometimes wet, and as it is spring the hotel had turned off
the heating. We were wearing coats all the time; for part of it I was
glad I'd taken my proper waterproofs. Apparently the week before it was 23.

I spent yesterday catching up on the gardening in brilliant sunshine and
a T-shirt.

Andy

Old 03-04-2014, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/04/2014 11:13, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 02 Apr 2014 21:36:31 +0100, Vir Campestris
wrote:

I spent yesterday catching up on the gardening in brilliant sunshine and
a T-shirt.

... and breathing Sahara dust

Not that I noticed.

My wife's car which was parked near Heathrow is filthy. Mine, which was
parked at home, looks fine.

Andy