Old 26-04-2014, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default trailing perennials

On 2014-04-25 11:31:41 +0000, stuart noble said:

I have just built a retaining wall (about 2 foot high) in my

son's
garden. It faces south and we are looking for something to

trail down
over the brickwork. Whatever we choose will probably need to

look
after itself, but not spread too much. Aubrieta springs to

mind.
Dianthus alpinus, Geranium cinereum, Helianthemum maybe? Any

other low
maintenance suggestions? TIA

Just a word of caution.

If the wall has lawn at it foot, think carefully. We have a low
15" wall, that swmbo planted with trailing plants, which then
spread down and onto the lawn. Mowing the lawn was a pain and I
tended to mow the trailing plants as well, much to swmbo's
anger. If you leave then, the grass underneath grows up through
as well.

Make sure if you have a lawn, whatever you plant does not reach
the bottom of the wall!

Thanks for the warning. There's a concrete path at the foot of the wall.
Thanks also for all the other suggestions. Much appreciated
Old 26-04-2014, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/26/2014 2:49 PM, Roger Tonkin wrote:

If the wall has lawn at it foot, think carefully. We have a low
15" wall, that swmbo planted with trailing plants, which then
spread down and onto the lawn. Mowing the lawn was a pain and I
tended to mow the trailing plants as well, much to swmbo's
anger. If you leave then, the grass underneath grows up through
as well.

Make sure if you have a lawn, whatever you plant does not reach
the bottom of the wall!

That's why I laid a 'mowing strip' at the base of the wall! About 5
inches wide, laid on sand, easy to lift and weed around when necessary.

Old 27-04-2014, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-25 11:31:41 +0000, stuart noble said:

[...]

Actually, you can snip most things. ;-)

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-04-2014, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 26 Apr 2014 18:56:24 +0100, sacha wrote:

And how could I forget the charming and lovable Erigeron karvinskianus.
If that takes one will have it for ever and joyfully so.

That's true, a plant I learned about on urg and now enjoy lots of. Just
coming into bloom, and stays green all winter!

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 27-04-2014, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Actually, you can snip most things. ;-)

And most posts :-)

Old 27-04-2014, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stuart noble" wrote in message ...

Actually, you can snip most things. ;-)

And most posts :-)

Been saying that for a long time, but I am afraid that those who feel they
"own" the site because they were here when Adam had it off with Eve, it
doesn't apply to them!!

Even though the rules and regulations are posted each week!!

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk

Old 27-04-2014, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/04/2014 16:43, stuart noble wrote:

Actually, you can snip most things. ;-)

And most posts :-)

I am surprised that no one has asked for more info.
OK the wall is about 2 ft high, but how long and what's behind it?
David @ an almost dry side of Swansea Bay
Old 27-04-2014, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

stuart noble wrote:

Actually, you can snip most things. ;-)

And most posts :-)

I am surprised that no one has asked for more info.
OK the wall is about 2 ft high, but how long and what's behind it?

And where are you? Torquay or Shap Fell, it makes a big difference.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 28-04-2014, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/04/2014 22:55, Bob Hobden wrote:
"David Hill" wrote

stuart noble wrote:

Actually, you can snip most things. ;-)

And most posts :-)

I am surprised that no one has asked for more info.
OK the wall is about 2 ft high, but how long and what's behind it?

And where are you? Torquay or Shap Fell, it makes a big difference.

The wall's about 20 feet long I think and the location is south east London

http://i58.tinypic.com/2safchx.jpg

As you can see it is currently backed by next door's decaying fence and
some serious ivy. If I can locate some concrete posts I'll put up a
support for climbing stuff at the back. Thought I'd start with the front
though, as that looks like the easy bit

Vinca Minor - Trailing/Cascading? Rick Gardening 0 19-03-2004 07:02 AM
Vinca Minor - Trailing/Cascading? Stephen M. Henning Gardening 0 14-03-2004 03:48 PM
Wall trailing plants? paddytt United Kingdom 1 12-10-2003 10:42 PM
Trailing fushia Seven United Kingdom 8 09-10-2003 08:23 PM
I found what my unknown trailing plant was!!! [email protected] Gardening 0 01-06-2003 11:20 PM