Old 25-04-2014, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default trailing perennials

I have just built a retaining wall (about 2 foot high) in my son's
garden. It faces south and we are looking for something to trail down
over the brickwork. Whatever we choose will probably need to look after
itself, but not spread too much. Aubrieta springs to mind. Dianthus
alpinus, Geranium cinereum, Helianthemum maybe? Any other low
maintenance suggestions? TIA
Old 25-04-2014, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/25/2014 7:31 AM, stuart noble wrote:
I have just built a retaining wall (about 2 foot high) in my son's
garden. It faces south and we are looking for something to trail down
over the brickwork. Whatever we choose will probably need to look after
itself, but not spread too much. Aubrieta springs to mind. Dianthus
alpinus, Geranium cinereum, Helianthemum maybe? Any other low
maintenance suggestions? TIA

Phlox subulata looks lovely draping over the walls in my garden.
Old 25-04-2014, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/04/2014 14:00, S Viemeister wrote:
On 4/25/2014 7:31 AM, stuart noble wrote:
I have just built a retaining wall (about 2 foot high) in my son's
garden. It faces south and we are looking for something to trail down
over the brickwork. Whatever we choose will probably need to look after
itself, but not spread too much. Aubrieta springs to mind. Dianthus
alpinus, Geranium cinereum, Helianthemum maybe? Any other low
maintenance suggestions? TIA

Phlox subulata looks lovely draping over the walls in my garden.

Excellent. I'll add those to the list
Old 25-04-2014, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-25 11:31:41 +0000, stuart noble said:

I have just built a retaining wall (about 2 foot high) in my son's
garden. It faces south and we are looking for something to trail down
over the brickwork. Whatever we choose will probably need to look after
itself, but not spread too much. Aubrieta springs to mind. Dianthus
alpinus, Geranium cinereum, Helianthemum maybe? Any other low
maintenance suggestions? TIA

Some of the rosemaries look wonderful trailing over a wall in a
not-too-cold garden and lavenders billowing out are most attractive. We
have a double Silene maritima which trails down from pots on pillars.
It dies back each winter but we leave the trailing stems and sure
enough, they burst into life again every spring and have done for
around 5 years. It's also slightly scented, which is a great bonus.
The other thing which is extremely pretty is the small flowered Vinca
minor GertrudeJekyll. It's nothing like as thuggish as Vinca major and
makes pretty, free-flowering clumps.
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=2024
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-04-2014, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/04/2014 15:32, sacha wrote:
On 2014-04-25 11:31:41 +0000, stuart noble said:

[...]

Many thanks. Sounds like the last two have a long flowering season too,
which will be a bonus

Old 25-04-2014, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-25 11:31:41 +0000, stuart noble said:

[...]

*Prostrate Veronicas* are lovely from late spring into early summer, in
many shades of blue.
*Erigeron karvinskianus*, in shades of white/pink/crimson, is excellent
and flowers well (in my garden) from about April to November, then
flowers less well and mostly white for about a month either side of that.
*Geranium 'Giuseppe' has tiny evergreen leaves and dark magenta flowers
in late spring/early summer.
While you're waiting for the perenniels to give enough colour, why not
plant a few annuals this year to fill in the gaps? There are oodles of
hanging basket plants to try, including *Bidens, trailing Verbena,
Lobelia, Brachyscome (sp?), Laurentia, smaller trailing Fuchsias and
even Tumbling Tomatoes (although would need more care).*

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 25-04-2014, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-25 11:31:41 +0000, stuart noble said:

[...]

Nice, thank you. I think we might skip the annuals for this year. The
soil from that side of the garden has been bagged up for months while I
built the wall, so probably a way to before we plant anything
Old 25-04-2014, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-25 11:31:41 +0000, stuart noble said:

[...]

Then why not chuck in some Nasturtiums
Old 25-04-2014, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-25 11:31:41 +0000, stuart noble said:

[...]

Yes indeed, the Vinca has been flowering for a couple of months and is
still. The Silene goes on right until autumn and is now in full leaf
and starting to look fresh and green and lovely.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-04-2014, 07:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-25 11:31:41 +0000, stuart noble said:

[...]

Should be alright for those. Seeds everywhere from last year (although
there weren't too many blooms as I recall)

On 2014-04-25 11:31:41 +0000, stuart noble said:

[...]

They need a very poor soil to flower well, otherwise you get lots of
leaf and few flowers.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 26-04-2014, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
I have just built a retaining wall (about 2 foot high) in my son's
garden. It faces south and we are looking for something to trail down
over the brickwork. Whatever we choose will probably need to look
after itself, but not spread too much. Aubrieta springs to mind.
Dianthus alpinus, Geranium cinereum, Helianthemum maybe? Any other low
maintenance suggestions? TIA

People have given a lot of suggestions, but I failed to notice
any warnings that not all will do equally well under all conditions.
Helianthemum, prostrate rosemaries, some thymes etc. will handle
hot, dry conditions but hate waterlogging. Aubretia and others
can't handle hot, dry conditions - though Aubretia will usually
survive, looking dead.

Even Vinca minor will invade - don't even think of major.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-04-2014, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 12:31:41 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

I have just built a retaining wall (about 2 foot high) in my son's
garden. It faces south and we are looking for something to trail down
over the brickwork. Whatever we choose will probably need to look after
itself, but not spread too much. Aubrieta springs to mind. Dianthus
alpinus, Geranium cinereum, Helianthemum maybe? Any other low
maintenance suggestions? TIA

We have a euphorbia that trails out nicely from our wall, also willowleaf
cotoneaster, flowers, berries, evergreen. There are a few sedums that do
OK, mesembryantheum, aubretia is great stuff.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 26-04-2014, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-26 16:59:13 +0000, Emery Davis said:

On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 12:31:41 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

I have just built a retaining wall (about 2 foot high) in my son's
garden. It faces south and we are looking for something to trail down
over the brickwork. Whatever we choose will probably need to look after
itself, but not spread too much. Aubrieta springs to mind. Dianthus
alpinus, Geranium cinereum, Helianthemum maybe? Any other low
maintenance suggestions? TIA

We have a euphorbia that trails out nicely from our wall, also willowleaf
cotoneaster, flowers, berries, evergreen. There are a few sedums that do
OK, mesembryantheum, aubretia is great stuff.

And how could I forget the charming and lovable Erigeron karvinskianus.
If that takes one will have it for ever and joyfully so.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-04-2014, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-25 11:31:41 +0000, stuart noble said:

I have just built a retaining wall (about 2 foot high) in my

son's
garden. It faces south and we are looking for something to

trail down
over the brickwork. Whatever we choose will probably need to

look
after itself, but not spread too much. Aubrieta springs to

mind.
Dianthus alpinus, Geranium cinereum, Helianthemum maybe? Any

other low
maintenance suggestions? TIA

Just a word of caution.

If the wall has lawn at it foot, think carefully. We have a low
15" wall, that swmbo planted with trailing plants, which then
spread down and onto the lawn. Mowing the lawn was a pain and I
tended to mow the trailing plants as well, much to swmbo's
anger. If you leave then, the grass underneath grows up through
as well.

Make sure if you have a lawn, whatever you plant does not reach
the bottom of the wall!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Vinca Minor - Trailing/Cascading? Rick Gardening 0 19-03-2004 07:02 AM
Vinca Minor - Trailing/Cascading? Stephen M. Henning Gardening 0 14-03-2004 03:48 PM
Wall trailing plants? paddytt United Kingdom 1 12-10-2003 10:42 PM
Trailing fushia Seven United Kingdom 8 09-10-2003 08:23 PM
I found what my unknown trailing plant was!!! [email protected] Gardening 0 01-06-2003 11:20 PM