Old 07-02-2014, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hydrangea paniculata

It looks as if this might suit one location, provided that we don't
get any hot, dry summers again. But I want one that is vaguely
upright, preferably with a long flowering period, and does NOT go
more than very slightly pink. Not Limelight, as I want it white
(preferably pure, rather than cream, if possible).

Kyushu looks plausible, but have I got it right? If not, or anyway,
are there any other suggestions?

The only other plant that I can find that fits the bill is Spirea
nipponica. It's a location that gets only late afternoon and evening
sun, and then only in summer, and needs to grow above some blood
red paeonies but not take up too much space sideways. Tricky.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Nick Maclaren wrote:

It looks as if this might suit one location, provided that we don't
get any hot, dry summers again. But I want one that is vaguely
upright, preferably with a long flowering period, and does NOT go
more than very slightly pink. Not Limelight, as I want it white
(preferably pure, rather than cream, if possible).

Kyushu looks plausible, but have I got it right? If not, or anyway,
are there any other suggestions?

The only other plant that I can find that fits the bill is Spirea
nipponica. It's a location that gets only late afternoon and evening
sun, and then only in summer, and needs to grow above some blood
red paeonies but not take up too much space sideways. Tricky.

Sorry - I should have said "not scented", which rules out a lot.
There is also Holodiscus discolor, which is possible.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Nick Maclaren wrote:

It looks as if this might suit one location, provided that we don't
get any hot, dry summers again. But I want one that is vaguely
upright, preferably with a long flowering period, and does NOT go
more than very slightly pink. Not Limelight, as I want it white
(preferably pure, rather than cream, if possible).

Kyushu looks plausible, but have I got it right? If not, or anyway,
are there any other suggestions?

The only other plant that I can find that fits the bill is Spirea
nipponica. It's a location that gets only late afternoon and evening
sun, and then only in summer, and needs to grow above some blood
red paeonies but not take up too much space sideways. Tricky.

Sorry - I should have said "not scented", which rules out a lot.
There is also Holodiscus discolor, which is possible.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I have this last, which we bought after reading about it, wish I had seen it
first, I am totally underwhelmed by it. perhaps elsewhere its lovely but
here its mundane, only the fact its not a bad clematis climbing frame stops
me from digging it out.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 07-02-2014, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Sorry - I should have said "not scented", which rules out a lot.
There is also Holodiscus discolor, which is possible.

I have this last, which we bought after reading about it, wish I had seen it
first, I am totally underwhelmed by it. perhaps elsewhere its lovely but
here its mundane, only the fact its not a bad clematis climbing frame stops
me from digging it out.

Thanks very much. Its pictures remind me of a rather underwhelming
common casual that I can never remember the name of. In the light
of your comment, I shall exclude it!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 07 Feb 2014 22:46:48 +0000, Charlie Pridham wrote:

Sorry - I should have said "not scented", which rules out a lot.
There is also Holodiscus discolor, which is possible.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I have this last, which we bought after reading about it, wish I had
seen it first, I am totally underwhelmed by it. perhaps elsewhere its
lovely but here its mundane, only the fact its not a bad clematis
climbing frame stops me from digging it out.

Yes, the Holodiscus is a curious shrub. Firstly it is large and spreads,
not exactly thuglike, but aggressive. Secondly, although it is pretty in
flower, following this the innumerable dead flowers hang about, rendering
the thing an eyesore from July to the following spring. I suppose they
might be cut off, but there are so many and who has time?

Summer visitors usually look at it with an "Ugh, what's that" sort of
reaction.

cheers,

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Old 09-02-2014, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-08 23:53:31 +0000, Emery Davis said:

[...]

We've got a Sinocalycanthus growing on the edge of a shrubby border and
while we've seen a beautiful one at a local NT property, this just
seems to look sad and sulky. Apparently, they do appreciate a bit of
shelter from other shrubs and the leaves don't like to be dripped on
from trees, so this one should be in an ideal position. I can only
conclude that however much you try to please them, some plants just
don't oblige! We'll persist with this for a while but it's days are
numbered!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-02-2014, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Am 07.02.2014 22:38, schrieb Nick Maclaren:
It looks as if this might suit one location, provided that we don't
get any hot, dry summers again. But I want one that is vaguely
upright, preferably with a long flowering period, and does NOT go
more than very slightly pink. Not Limelight, as I want it white
(preferably pure, rather than cream, if possible).

What about H. paniculata 'Moonlight'. Pure brilliant white changing into
slightly green in late autumn.
Cheers
Gotthelf

--
http://www.wolmershaeuser.de
Old 09-02-2014, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
=?ISO-8859-15?Q?G_Wolmersh=E4user?= wrote:
Am 07.02.2014 22:38, schrieb Nick Maclaren:
It looks as if this might suit one location, provided that we don't
get any hot, dry summers again. But I want one that is vaguely
upright, preferably with a long flowering period, and does NOT go
more than very slightly pink. Not Limelight, as I want it white
(preferably pure, rather than cream, if possible).

What about H. paniculata 'Moonlight'. Pure brilliant white changing into
slightly green in late autumn.

Thanks very much! Just what I needed to know. It seems that "White
Moth" is similar, but finding out such details is murder.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.