Old 12-06-2014, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hydrangea paniculata

Following the removal of all buds by slugs/snails, I repotted it
(no root disturbance, as it had just been planted) and it has
thrown new buds. But they have grown at the rate of c. 1 mm a
week for the past 6 weeks!

Is there something bizarre about this plant? And have I a hope
in hell of getting it to develop enough stem to get clear of
the molluscs this century?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-06-2014, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Following the removal of all buds by slugs/snails, I repotted it
(no root disturbance, as it had just been planted) and it has
thrown new buds. But they have grown at the rate of c. 1 mm a
week for the past 6 weeks!

Is there something bizarre about this plant? And have I a hope
in hell of getting it to develop enough stem to get clear of
the molluscs this century?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

They seem to go into a sulk when the snails get at them, I have some newly
planted Schizophragma and being related to Hydrangea have had to battle hard
to salvage them, but they are now starting to grow away. by contrast the
more established climbing hydrangea here are have a wonderful year, so stick
with it, use everything short of Napalm but get in early before the damage
starts!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 13-06-2014, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/06/2014 08:59, Charlie Pridham wrote:

[...]

The buggers even destroy things they don't want to eat just by coating
the foliage with slime.
Old 13-06-2014, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/06/2014 20:44, Nick Maclaren wrote:
Following the removal of all buds by slugs/snails, I repotted it
(no root disturbance, as it had just been planted) and it has
thrown new buds. But they have grown at the rate of c. 1 mm a
week for the past 6 weeks!

Is there something bizarre about this plant? And have I a hope
in hell of getting it to develop enough stem to get clear of
the molluscs this century?

I reckon it is sulking but it will probably live. Next time put a ring a
slug pellets around its base before the slugs get going.

Strangely I find cats also like to nibble the ends of shoots on some of
my hydrangeas but I have no idea why they do it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 13-06-2014, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Following the removal of all buds by slugs/snails, I repotted it
(no root disturbance, as it had just been planted) and it has
thrown new buds. But they have grown at the rate of c. 1 mm a
week for the past 6 weeks!

Is there something bizarre about this plant? And have I a hope
in hell of getting it to develop enough stem to get clear of
the molluscs this century?

I reckon it is sulking but it will probably live. Next time put a ring a
slug pellets around its base before the slugs get going.

Thanks, both of you. Odd. Slug pellets are infeasible where I want
it, so I need to get it to grow high enough before replanting it.
And, at 1 mm a week, I will not live that long ....

Old 13-06-2014, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:

[...]

Try a liquid slug killer and having mixed it have it in a spray for dry
evenings in the spring.

Old 13-06-2014, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Thanks, both of you. Odd. Slug pellets are infeasible where I want
it, so I need to get it to grow high enough before replanting it.
And, at 1 mm a week, I will not live that long ....

Try a liquid slug killer and having mixed it have it in a spray for dry
evenings in the spring.

Also infeasible. It is for a location that is surrounded by
herbaceous paeonies, which will flop on top of it. What does
work is carrot fly net :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-06-2014, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/06/2014 09:44, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Following the removal of all buds by slugs/snails, I repotted it
(no root disturbance, as it had just been planted) and it has
thrown new buds. But they have grown at the rate of c. 1 mm a
week for the past 6 weeks!

Is there something bizarre about this plant? And have I a hope
in hell of getting it to develop enough stem to get clear of
the molluscs this century?

I reckon it is sulking but it will probably live. Next time put a ring a
slug pellets around its base before the slugs get going.

Thanks, both of you. Odd. Slug pellets are infeasible where I want
it, so I need to get it to grow high enough before replanting it.
And, at 1 mm a week, I will not live that long ....

Too much wildlife? Or don't you like using metaldehyde?

I generally throw a handful in amongst the hostas and hydrangeas now and
then - especially coming out of a wet winter. I'd never see the hostas
appear above ground without the use of chemical weapons!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 15-06-2014, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:

[...]

Try the liquid slug killer and use it as a wash over the entire plant.
It seems to make the plants taste bad, even to critters such as Red Lily
Beetle. Haven't tried it on Vine Weevil yet, but another possibility.
It will certainly kill your molluscs, including any slugs underground,
and their eggs too.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 15-06-2014, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:

[...]

Aww! I just said that! Should have read through other posts firsts.
Don't you find the liquid slug killer dries in the spray nozzle, causing
it to block?

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 15-06-2014, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:

[...]

No, perhaps I am more stingy with the amount of concentrate!!

Old 15-06-2014, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:

[...]

Surely not, Charlie!
Perhaps I'll have to try a thinner dilution, then. I've often thought
about having a spray handy, but always worried about blockage. I think
I can manage a spot of stinginess, since I come from Yorkshire. Thanks
for the tip.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 16-06-2014, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/06/2014 19:04, Spider wrote:

It will certainly kill your molluscs, including any slugs underground,
and their eggs too.

Unfortunately it won't touch the eggs. Metaldehyde acts by dehydrating
the slugs.

--

Jeff