Old 04-05-2014, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rhododendron yakushimanum Marietta

Is anyone growing this and is it a good 'do-er'? And if so, do you
know of a nursery or gc selling it? We have a customer looking for it
and I'd like to be able to point her in the right direction.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-05-2014, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-06 08:18:41 +0000, Chris Hogg said:

On Sun, 4 May 2014 13:24:53 +0100, sacha wrote:

Is anyone growing this and is it a good 'do-er'? And if so, do you
know of a nursery or gc selling it? We have a customer looking for it
and I'd like to be able to point her in the right direction.

Not answering your question specifically, Sacha, but some 40 years ago
I collected seed from a yak rhodie on a local NT property, when yaks
were a novelty and rather scarce. I had good germination, and I grew
on about twenty or so plants. They were a bit of a mixture, as one
might expect from open pollination, but a few had all the
characteristics of true yaks and did very well in my (then)
mid-Cornwall garden. I would expect Marietta to be no different to
other yaks: a dwarf, slow growing compact shrub with distinctive
narrow recurved leaves with white indumentum, and covered in creamy
pink flowers in Spring, doing very well in the right circumstances
(open situation, acid soil, etc. etc.). But I do remember that the
flowers were often spoilt by frosts, and I regularly had to cover them
with sacking (fleece, these days), to protect them on clear cloudless
nights.

Thanks, Chris. I hve a photo the customer gave me, not of the plant but
of its label with a reference or catalogue number. I'll find the photo
and reproduce the number to see if anyone recognises it. There's also
the symbol of a trophy-like cup which resembles the AGM but it's not
listed in the Plant Finder online.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-05-2014, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sacha" wrote

Is anyone growing this and is it a good 'do-er'? And if so, do you know of
a nursery or gc selling it? We have a customer looking for it and I'd like
to be able to point her in the right direction.

Looking at the RHS AGM list there are only two yaks awarded, the species
R.yakushimanum and R. yakushimanum "Kolchiro Wada".

Looking at all Rhododendrums there is no Marietta awarded, Maruschka is the
nearest name, although it does come up as valid if you enter Rhododendrum
Marietta but with no suppliers.

It was trialled by the RHS...
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/planttrials/t...p?Trialnum=420
Maybe they could tell you where their plant came from and how it did.

It was bred in Germany in 1968 and is IRRC registered so you may have to get
one from the continent.
http://www.vdberk-rhododendron.com/p...arietta-en.pdf
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote
It was trialled by the RHS...
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/planttrials/t...p?Trialnum=420
Maybe they could tell you where their plant came from and how it did.

Silly me, the trial report link is on that page and it did get an AGM in the
trial although it's not shown on the other list of AGM plants, RHS
efficiency perhaps?
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-06 17:13:30 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Bob Hobden" wrote
It was trialled by the RHS...
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/planttrials/t...p?Trialnum=420
Maybe they could tell you where their plant came from and how it did.

Silly me, the trial report link is on that page and it did get an AGM
in the trial although it's not shown on the other list of AGM plants,
RHS efficiency perhaps?

Thanks, Bob. I'll tell her that it looks as if she's going to have to
look for it in Germany. Certainly, there's no sign of it over here that
I can see. As you said, the trial shows it was sent over by Hachmann,
for that purpose.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-05-2014, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Am 07.05.2014 08:00, schrieb Sacha:

Thanks, Bob. I'll tell her that it looks as if she's going to have to
look for it in Germany. Certainly, there's no sign of it over here that
I can see. As you said, the trial shows it was sent over by Hachmann,
for that purpose.

This hybrid was bred by Hans Hachmann in 1986. It is a
yakushimanum-wardii hybrid. I don't grow it in my garden. However, as
with other yakushimanum hybrids I expect its colour will fade at the end
to a somewhat muddy ivory white. It looks very similar to the old Hobbie
hybrid "Flava". I see no advantage over the latter.
Cheers
Gotthelf

--
http://www.wolmershaeuser.de
Old 09-05-2014, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-09 18:13:53 +0000, G Wolmershäuser said:

Am 07.05.2014 08:00, schrieb Sacha:

Thanks, Bob. I'll tell her that it looks as if she's going to have to
look for it in Germany. Certainly, there's no sign of it over here that
I can see. As you said, the trial shows it was sent over by Hachmann,
for that purpose.

This hybrid was bred by Hans Hachmann in 1986. It is a
yakushimanum-wardii hybrid. I don't grow it in my garden. However, as
with other yakushimanum hybrids I expect its colour will fade at the
end to a somewhat muddy ivory white. It looks very similar to the old
Hobbie hybrid "Flava". I see no advantage over the latter.
Cheers
Gotthelf

Thank you for this helpful reply. I think the customer wants it for
the name, as much as anything else. I'll pass your comment on to her.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-05-2014, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Am 09.05.2014 20:44, schrieb sacha:

Thank you for this helpful reply. I think the customer wants it for the
name, as much as anything else. I'll pass your comment on to her.

Ok. Hachmann (http://www.hachmann.de/) ships to UK.
Gotthelf

--
http://www.wolmershaeuser.de
Old 10-05-2014, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-10 09:11:15 +0000, G Wolmershäuser said:

Am 09.05.2014 20:44, schrieb sacha:

Thank you for this helpful reply. I think the customer wants it for the
name, as much as anything else. I'll pass your comment on to her.

Ok. Hachmann (http://www.hachmann.de/) ships to UK.
Gotthelf

Thank you again!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Free goldfish babies--Marietta, GA Crashj Ponds 6 17-09-2004 04:08 AM
Free goldfish babies--Marietta, GA kc Ponds 0 14-09-2004 02:47 PM
Rhododendron limey Gardening 3 11-04-2003 11:08 PM
Pests in Verbena and Rhododendron Peter James United Kingdom 1 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
rhododendron litangense questions from Oregon Doonemd Bonsai 0 26-03-2003 03:20 PM