Old 09-05-2014, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bluebells

I don't get any bluebells in my garden but this year there are loads
of them. They look to be real Hyacinthoides non-scripta rather then
the hybrid. It's the first year they have grown. I didn't plant them
but I'm not complaining.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 09-05-2014, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/2014 15:02, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
I don't get any bluebells in my garden but this year there are loads
of them. They look to be real Hyacinthoides non-scripta rather then
the hybrid. It's the first year they have grown. I didn't plant them
but I'm not complaining.

Steve

It's not difficult to tell the difference, unless the hybrid leans much
more towards the native bluebell than the Spanish one.

I'm trying to eradicate hundreds of the things in the garden where we
moved in 2012. I keep spraying them with glyphosate, and dig them out
where possible. The bulbs go down really deep, though - perhaps 25 cm.
The only thing in their favour is that they make surprisingly long-lived
cut flowers, with long stems if you carefully pull them out. They last
at least 14 days (although the colour fades with time), and can be up to
80 cm long.

--

Jeff

Bluebells Plant Thieves Tarzan United Kingdom 5 11-04-2005 09:37 PM
English bluebells jane United Kingdom 24 09-05-2003 01:08 AM
Spanish bluebells Brian Mitchell United Kingdom 0 28-04-2003 02:20 AM
Bluebells on the lawn Fred United Kingdom 2 14-04-2003 07:08 PM
Spanish Bluebells Todd J. Gardening 6 28-03-2003 07:32 PM